My first ESB recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clawton

Reaction score
Hi,

I came up with this based on other Redhook ESB recipes I've seen. I don't care about an exact clone, just something yummy. I'll do my first mini mash because I wanted to try the Biscuit malt. I know most Redhook ESB recipes don't use NB hops, but I have some lying around. Any comments?

% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable
67% 5 0 Light Dry Malt Extract
13% 1 0 American Two-row Pale
13% 1 0 Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
7% 0 8 Belgian Biscuit Malt

use time oz variety form aa

boil 60 mins 0.5 Northern Brewer pellet 9.4
boil 30 mins 0.5 Tettnanger pellet 4.5
boil 20 mins 0.5 Willamette pellet 5.5
boil 5 mins 0.5 Tettnanger pellet 4.5

4oz Malto Dextrin

Hopville gives it 29.8 IBU and 13 SRM.

I would push the 30 and 20 minute hop additions later. Not sure they do much for you there. Make the additions 15, 8, and 0.

Why MaltoDextrin. You are going to have a 1.055/1.060 OG, depending on the yeast you should end up somewhere around 1.012/1.015. An ESB is not supposed to have a lot of sweetness to it. Adding 4 ozs of MD is just adding unfermentables to the wort which will increase the FG by 1 to 2 points.

Thanks. I was adding the malto dextrin because the recipe I was going from had Carapils for more body and I was thinking the malto dextrin would add body without a lot of flavor. Maybe the biscuit malt will take care of that anyway? I've never used malto dextrin and I don't really know what it will do to the final product.

I would push the 30 and 20 minute hop additions later. Not sure they do much for you there. Make the additions 15, 8, and 0.

Why MaltoDextrin. You are going to have a 1.055/1.060 OG, depending on the yeast you should end up somewhere around 1.012/1.015. An ESB is not supposed to have a lot of sweetness to it. Adding 4 ozs of MD is just adding unfermentables to the wort which will increase the FG by 1 to 2 points.

Latest posts

Back