Cheap Areation Device

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AleHole

Reaction score
Has anybody heard of cutting a short 2" piece of 3/8" copper pipe and drilling holes in the tip of it and connecting the other end to a piece of vinyl tubing (kinda like a nozzle)to help areate wort when you siphon/transfer it?

Yup, and it's the same as splashing, shaking, straining to mix air into the wort. It's not exactly known for sure if it's as good as injecting pure oxygen back in, but it certainly works "good enough" for most people.

AleHole said:
Has anybody heard of cutting a short 2" piece of 3/8" copper pipe and drilling holes in the tip of it and connecting the other end to a piece of vinyl tubing (kinda like a nozzle)to help areate wort when you siphon/transfer it?

How do you strain your wort? I get plenty of aeration from the funnel screen that I use to filter out most of the solids when transferring to primary. Of course, I also supplement with an aerator...

Well thanks for the replies on my first post. Usually when I strain I use a mesh strainer. Also Nice videos Bobby... I think its cool to see how other hook it up!

AleHole said:

You mean like this?
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=173368&postcount=20;)

I use a siphon sprayer myself. I've never had a problem with my ferments and am not sure O2 is neccessary for most ales (which is what I brew).

:mug:

yep, thats what I was talking about. I was just wondering if that thing works thats all. I like gadgets especially if I can make them.

Back