Cleaning beer lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tilldeath

Reaction score
So I was wondering what should I do reguard ing cleaning my beer lines? I know bars need to clean at least every 2 weeks. I will go through my keg estimated 1 every 2mo or less. What do you all recommend? Do I get line cleaner or is cleaning with oxyclean enough? Should I buy a line cleaning kit with a pump or is there a easier/better way?

Put some hot water and beer line cleaner or oxyclean in a corny keg, run it in your lines, and let it sit for about 20 min. Then rinse like crazy with water, and finally with the sanitize of your choice. Works fine for me, and my lines have been good for a year so far.

Put some hot water and beer line cleaner or oxyclean in a corny keg, run it in your lines, and let it sit for about 20 min. Then rinse like crazy with water, and finally with the sanitize of your choice. Works fine for me, and my lines have been good for a year so far.

Well that's what I'm gonna do before each keg, but do I need to clean my serving line in between cleanings?

Well that's what I'm gonna do before each keg, but do I need to clean my serving line in between cleanings?

I always clean out my lines between kegs, but you don't have to. You can get away with not cleaning the lines if:
1) you're hooking up another keg to the same line without letting it sit
and
2) it's a similar style of beer

Otherwise, when you clean the keg with oxyclean or blc, or whatever you use.. run some of it through your lines as well.

My commercial keggerator (not home made) recommends cleaning the lines once a week. This includes taking off the taps and cleaning/sanitizing them. I did that the first two weeks. Now....I only clean the taps/lines when I swap out a keg.

Don't use oxyclean, use BLC or PBW to prevent beer stone.

I run some cleaner through until I have flushed out the beer, let it sit for a few minutes, and then run some more cleaner through. Follow with a water rinse (don't need much if you used BLC or PBW) and then sanitizer (letting it sit in the line for the required contact time).

I historically have done this to every line every time I change a keg and then also clean that kegs faucet. I think I am going to switch to the above routine every weekend and breaking down the faucet when I change a keg. This is probably more cleaning than most, but you can't overdo it.

I run BLC, flush with water, then with Starsan every time I change a keg. Every 3 or 4 kegs I remove the faucets for cleaning/sanitizing and swap out the lines completely. That last part may not be necessary but beer line is cheap, so as long as I'm removing the faucets anyway why not just swap it out?

I hadn't been cleaning my beer lines nearly enough. A keg kicked, loaded it up with oxyclean, flushed the lines, let it sit for 30. Loaded the keg up with starsan, ran the lines again, and now I'll be doing it every time a keg kicks.

Thanks everyone.

Back