Beer Travel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squiggy

Reaction score
I am planning a 3 week trip to Europe with my girlfriend. We have been to Germany for 10 days once before. We went to Munich, Köln and Dusseldf. This trip we will be going to Germany, Austria and the Czech Republic. We will be flying into Munich 3/18/09 and flying out of Munich on 4/8/09. Our plane tickets have been purchased. I am now trying to plan our time. I have a few books. I have Rick Steves’ Europe through the back door, Rick Steves’ Germany, Rick Steves’ Prague & the Czech republic, Lonely Planet Munich & Bavaria, Frommer’s Munich & the Bavarian Alps, CAMRA The Good Beer Guide Germany by Steve Thomas, CAMRA The good Beer Guide Prague & the Czech Republic by Evan Rail, CAMRA Bamberg and Franconia: Germany’s brewing heartland by John Conen and The Beer drinkers guide to Munich.
I am not that interested in Belgian beer so please don’t try and send me there.:eek:
I would like to find a Pub/bier-hall that has Baltic Porter in a cask. Where would I find such a place? I am trying to book most of our lodging ahead of time. Does anyone know of any good websites? I am looking for the cheaper places to stay. The beer guides don’t talk much about where to sleep in cities like Bamberg or Plzen. We are going to spend our time drinking, eating, and visiting castles, monasteries, breweries, and Cathedrals. If anyone can suggest websites and books that would be great.

Not so much for beer info but I've found Wikitravel.org really, really helpful when traveling around the country and overseas last year. They have a sleep accommodation section as well with some info.

Are you going for nice hotels, decent hotels or slumming it in hostels (the true way to see Europe)?

Theres a small town outside of Munich called Eching, you can get there by taking the S Bahn train 1, its about six stops. They have this awesome beer hall with plenty of different ales and a few lagers on tap. Also, the best Currywurst with fries I've ever had. It is in a park so you're surrounded by trees, small lakes and a field, pretty cool stuff. I spent a lot of time and money there a few years ago...

Then from there you can go to Landshut where they make riesling and it has a cool, small Bavarian city feel to it (because its a small Bavarian city).

Hope that helps a little...

:mug:

I've stayed in the Holiday Inn Munich City Centre that has an S-Bahn stop in the building and is only 2 stops from Marienplatz (and the famous Hofbrau Haus). The price was pretty decent and it was a nice hotel.

Not sure about the local brews, but I highly recommend visiting Berchtesgaden while there. Have a fun trip!

Are you going for nice hotels, decent hotels or slumming it in hostels (the true way to see Europe)?

Theres a small town outside of Munich called Eching, you can get there by taking the S Bahn train 1, its about six stops. They have this awesome beer hall with plenty of different ales and a few lagers on tap. Also, the best Currywurst with fries I've ever had. It is in a park so you're surrounded by trees, small lakes and a field, pretty cool stuff. I spent a lot of time and money there a few years ago...

Then from there you can go to Landshut where they make riesling and it has a cool, small Bavarian city feel to it (because its a small Bavarian city).

Hope that helps a little...

We are looking for cheap hotels and hostels. I would like a private bedroom but would have no problem sharing a bathroom or shower.

We are looking for cheap hotels and hostels. I would like a private bedroom but would have no problem sharing a bathroom or shower.

A&O Hostels are always good, there is one in [ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF8&q=munich+hostels&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&view=text&cd=10&hl=en&sll=48.154527,11.540260&sspn=0.111588,0.195440&latlng=48145396,11540719,13398465351631158886&ei=gPh5Sb6aJZq0MczYzZwM&dtab=5"]Hackerbrucke[/ame] which is cool because its like a stop from the city itself and just outside to get a quieter stay.

In the city, there is another A&O and there's this Hostel, it was awesome. I spent a night in there with a bunch of people I met, interesting night that was... anyway, it was nice and very clean.

Hope this helps... Like I said before Eching and Landshut are two places to check out as well.

Sounds like an awesome trip! I am planning a trip to Germany in September...I didn't even know beer-travel books existed! :mug:

Back