OG was Off; is it from bad mixing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreakinA

Reaction score
I was brewing a Sierra Nevada Pale ale clone from my LHBS the other week the recipe is:

.5#carapils
.5# crystal malt 60L
6.6# pale malt extract
1oz Chinook bittering
1oz cascade 15 minutes before end
1 oz cascade 5 minutes before end.
This is all wonderful and it smells great and stuff, but I went to brew calc to check a basic gravity and just from adding the 6.6 of pale malt extract I got 1.047 for a gravity, before adding in the carapils(which I dont think brewcalcs has) or the crystal. My OG was 1.043, So im just hoping it was bad mixing in with the water(I can only do about a 2Gallon boil on my stove). Is this the likely culprit? Or have I just made yet another session beer? My dad really likes SN Pale ale and to try and get him into homebrewing I was trying to get him a case or so of this batch to show him what he can make, and now im slightly worried that although it will be really good beer, it wont be that similar at all. My SG using Wyeast american ale a full week after the boil is 1.012, and I dont forsee that much more of a drop. I plan on kegging it next monday, and I was contemplating cool crashing it because that sounded technical, and I just love 'playing' with my beers.

I started bringing my iPod touch to more classes specifically so I could HBT. Im obsessed now. My keg parts come monday and I am going to keg the IPA I have all ready!

Back