Hobgoblin clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gmeyers said:
Does anybody have an extract recipes for Hobgoblin?
Here you go.

Hobgoblin
7 oz. British 55°L Crystal Malt
1 oz. British Chocolate Malt
½ oz. British Black Patent Malt
7 lb. Muntons Extra Light DME
4 oz. Malto Dextrin
1½ tsp. Burton Water Salts
1½ oz. East Kent Goldings @ 5%AA
2/3 oz. Fuggles
1 tsp. Irish Moss
¼ oz. Fuggles
White Labs WLP005 British Ale Yeast

i brewed this 2 weeks ago
the sample i tried smelled and tasted good, however the colour is more amber than the dark black of the store bought.
has anyone else had this problem?
i was going to increase the chocolate and black patent next time around.
any suggestions as to how much more?
thanks,rod

it's been a while since I had hobgoblin, but I don't recall it being 'dark black' at all. maybe my memory is foggy....

edit: the official wychwood website calls the beer "ruby red coloured".

Anyway, if you want to darken it up a bit, just double the choc and patent malt. They are ther ein pretty small quantities already, so doubling them won't make much difference in flavor, but might get the darkness you want.

-walker

That's What I Was Considering,but Since I Am Relatively New To Brewing I Didn't Want To Mess Up The Good Flavour To Correct A Colour Issue.
Thanks For The Quick Reply
I Have To Get Back To Work Now-boss Just Got Back

you are right walker - it is a ruby colour - memory is bad - just bought a bottle and mu clone is very close in colour

If you want to be truly, pedantically accurate, it's Styrian Goldings rather than East Kent Goldings, from the Wychwood website:

"Head Brewer, Jeremy Moss, has produced a full chocolate malt flavour beer by the addition of a small proportion of crystal malt and the use of Fuggles hops blended with Styrian Goldings hops. The ruby red coloured Hobgoblin is full-bodied and has a delicious chocolate toffee malt flavour balanced with a rounded moderate bitterness and an overall fruity character."

In fact, if you go to the Wychwood website, they seem to have a thing for Styrian Goldings, they crop up in a lot of brews (including my favourite beer of the moment, Wychcraft).

Have you tried there 'Bah' Humbug Christmas cheer' It keeps selling out in our supermarket but it's crackin!

Hob Goblin is a black beer.

I have 40 pins of the stuff on secondary and drank a proper bottle last night.

The Hob is on the left in a clear bottle, in the glass is the Circle Master.

PICT0003.JPG

This is my Hob Clone next to the OPA.

pict0003159101cetu0.jpg

Here's my recipe.

(5 gallons)
OG =1.059 FG =1.016 SRM = 17.5 IBU = 28

6 oz. British crystal malt (55° Lovibond)
1 oz. British chocolate malt
0.5 oz. British black malt
6.5 lbs. Munton's extra light dry malt extract (DME)
4 oz. malto dextrin
7 AAUs Progress bittering hops (1 oz. of 7% alpha acid)
3.4 AAUs Styrian Goldings flavour hops (0.66 oz. of 5% alpha acid)
2.5 AAUs Styrian Goldings aroma hops (0.5 oz. of 5% alpha acid)
1 tsp. Irish moss
London Ale yeast (Wyeast 1028) or English Ale yeast (White Labs WLP002)
0.75 cup corn sugar for priming ( use dme )

and this is the brew session.

http://www.ushould.co.uk/brew/firstag.htm

Why does the recipe use Extra Light DME, I thought it would use a darker one? The reason I ask is I read that Muntons Extra Light DME is used in lagers and very light bitter.

Sorry I just looked at the recipe I posted and that is the Extract version, I swap the DME for Pale Malt Grain.

The reason I and I presume others use the pale malt is because you can use it for a base for most beers and darken it by using speciality grains, they also had more depth to the flavour.

If I bought a darker malt than....

a.) I'd have to buy it in smaller quanities than 25kg.
b.) it would be more expensive
c.) I'd not be able to make lighter ales from it.

HTH.

A question on the clone recipe you have in your link, orfy. When it says to sparge the grains for 1/2 gal of 150 degree water, what exactly does this mean? How would you do this if the grains were in a steeping bag?

Heat 1 gallon of water to 155° F. Add grain and steep at 150° F for 30 minutes. Strain the grain water into the brew pot. Sparge the grains with 0.5 gallons of 150° F water. Add the malt extracts,

I'd say that you use 0.5 gallon of water to rinse(sparge) the grains after you've steeped them. It gets more of the fermentable sugars and flavours from the grain

You could put the grain bag in a large funnel and pour the water over it, or put the grain bag in a colander and do the same. Collecting the wort that runs off. It's normal to poor the first runnings back over the grain to help clear it a little. All depends on the equipment you have.
I have AG equipment with a mush tun so use that.
Hope that helps. Maybe some one who does steeping/partial mash may have a better method.

I've never done the partial recipe and can't vouch for it but the AG is nice.

Could you replace the Crystal 55 with 60? I can't seem to find 55 where I usually get my ingredients.

I'm really looking forward to having a go at this recipe. It's gonna save me a fortune.

Orfy in a post you made long ago that I came across, you mentioned that you were looking at getting a combined Bruheat Boiler/mash tun all in one. I have the same problem in that I don't have alot of storage space so was looking into something like this for myself.

I know you have seperate AG equipment now but did you ever get to try out one of these and did you get on with it?

I was looking at this particular one I know it's a bit expensive but Xmas is coming!

GBP129.99
Brupaks Electric Mash Tun / Boiler - 0619 0619
A 29 litre enamelled steel mash tun and boiler. This unit comes complete with a fitted hop strainer.

Any thoughts?

Wow thx, will that boiler (tchibo) go up to the required temps? Thats awesome if does.

To be honest all I was looking for was a container that I could do a boil in and that looks perfect. Been doing kits so far and wanna start doing some extract brewing using speciality grains before moving onto AG

Will probably make a mash tun in the future like you have out of a coolbox or mabey use a fermenting bucket with a false bottom.

thanks for the excellent advice.

Sorry for this post going a bit off topic :eek:

Mk010101 said:
Could you replace the Crystal 55 with 60? I can't seem to find 55 where I usually get my ingredients.

Yes sure, it's a dark brew so no problems. If you want to it the colour on the nose then reduce the darker grains a little increase the base malt a little. I wouldn't bother though.

Geordiepete said:
Wow thx, will that boiler (tchibo) go up to the required temps? Thats awesome if does

I really couldn't say. If it'll boil water it should boil wort.

If it's the same boiler as the Brupaks boiler then surely you could by a spare element of it to upgrade.

I managed to get an enlarged pic of it and the thermostat seems to go up to 90 deg C from what I can see which I believe is plenty:D

Thanks for your help and the link Orfy,

i'm off to order one of those now:tank: .

I'll let this post get back to recipe chat

Here's my recipe.

(5 gallons)
OG =1.059 FG =1.016 SRM = 17.5 IBU = 28

6 oz. British crystal malt (55° Lovibond)
1 oz. British chocolate malt
0.5 oz. British black malt
6.5 lbs. Munton's extra light dry malt extract (DME)
4 oz. malto dextrin
7 AAUs Progress bittering hops (1 oz. of 7% alpha acid)
3.4 AAUs Styrian Goldings flavour hops (0.66 oz. of 5% alpha acid)
2.5 AAUs Styrian Goldings aroma hops (0.5 oz. of 5% alpha acid)
1 tsp. Irish moss
London Ale yeast (Wyeast 1028) or English Ale yeast (White Labs WLP002)
0.75 cup corn sugar for priming ( use dme )

and this is the brew session.

http://www.ushould.co.uk/brew/firstag.htm

okayy so I brewed this up for a buddy of mine from england who needed a small trip back home! Only problem is I had to make some substitutions based on the limited supply of my LHBS. Just wondering if you still think this beer will taste like a hobgoblin.

I substituted the Progress for NB, The SG for EKG, and the yeast for Wyeast 1968 ESB. Also I dont kno if there is a difference or whatnot because ive never used malto dextrin before, but I placed my order with the store and they gave me a bag of dextrin malt so I used it in this beer. Is this going to be like a Hob?

Is this going to be alright? Im sure it will still be good, but I would prefer it tastes like Hobgoblin

Back