Deep Ellum Labor of Love Homebrew Competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattyIce

Reaction score
Deep Ellum Brewing Company is holding a "Labor of Love" homebrew competition September 6, 2015. Details are scarce right now, but this is the registration link:

http://www.lolhomebrew.com

Has anyone participated in this before?

My team and I have always skipped it. Mostly because of draining our beer for Brew Riot. To me, this seems like a smaller version. I love these kinds of festival because you actually get to interact with the people drinking your beer.

Anyone have any more information on this? Seems strange to specify styles up front without knowing quantity needed.

Here's the email I got after signing up:

PLEASE READ THESE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY:
Both codes listed below MUST be labeled on each competition beer.
Beers that are not labeled will not be judged (masking tape and black sharpie pen preferred).
BEER #1 INFO
BEER #2 INFO
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
DROP OFF LOCATIONS AND DEADLINE
Competition beer is due by and no later than August 17th, 2015 at Deep Ellum Brewing Co.
Deep Ellum Brewing Co
2823 St. Louis St.
Dallas, TX 75218 – (9am – 5pm, Monday – Friday)
Homebrew Headquarters
The Shops at Promenade
300 N Coit Rd
Richardson, TX 75080 (972) 234-4411, Call for drop off times.
GRAIN AND HOPS
Each year we offer our grain and hops for you to brew with. Because we know brewing beer is no easy task and neither is purchasing product to make it.
Available Malt: 20 lbs. total
2-Row
Available Hops: 7 oz. total
Liberty, Mt. Hood, Golding
You may schedule a time for pick up by contacting [email protected].
LABOR OF LOVE FESTIVAL
Labor of Love Festival is held on September 6th, 2015 at the DEBC fields across from our brewery at 2328 St. Louis St. Dallas, TX 75226.
We will have more details about the event logistics in the coming month. You will be allowed a team of 4 people to enter in at no cost. A total of 5 beers will be allowed for festival tasting delivered in your own kegs and serving stations. We will provide tents, tables and chairs. The option of your own tent might be a possibility.
This year’s Best in Show winner will be our 2016 release of our Labor of Love THREE. We will also enter the winner at the 2016 GABF Pro-Am Competition.
Good luck and happy home-brewing!
I replied asking how much per entry and they came back and told me three bottles.

I wonder how they're going to get around the TABC restrictions that were imposed on Brew Riot. It might be different since it's a company running it.

Kegging most of the saison I'm entering this weekend. I'll probably bottle around a gallon, to have the three for the entry and a few extras to sample. I haven't had time to get a setup working to bottle from the keg. Hopefully the IPA is ready to keg/bottle in a week, I leave on the 29th for my 2 weeks of National Guard training, and I'm not back until the day before the entries are due!

For others that have entered. have you received an email back from them yet. I entered mine some time back and havn't heard anything. Guess I can just resubmit my entry.

For others that have entered. have you received an email back from them yet. I entered mine some time back and havn't heard anything. Guess I can just resubmit my entry.

I got one pretty quick. You might email them at [email protected] and ask if they got it. They've replied back to several questions I've asked them within a day or so each time.

Yesterday was the deadline, but they accepted my entries today. Get em in if ya can!

Post your team names!! I will be there with my wife as Matty K's..I'll be serving a doppel bock, an IPA and a big hoppy barleywine

I will be there with my wife as Steel Rain Brewing. I'll be pouring an IPA and a hoppy saison. My wife will also be selling the dog treats she makes from my spent grains (our dog goes nuts for them).

Had a great time there! Scooped a gold and a silver!

Didn't see Steel Rain there though :-( I did get some spent grain dog treats from Escarpment Brewing lol.

I need to eventually make it out to LOL. I'm usually at Brew Riot and Riverside Shootout. I also heard that Shannon and Chimera are doing their own competitions now too.

I need to eventually make it out to LOL. I'm usually at Brew Riot and Riverside Shootout. I also heard that Shannon and Chimera are doing their own competitions now too.

Shannon is doing one in November, it benefits some kind of veterans organization I believe. Do you have any info on the Chimera one? I did a quick check of their website and facebook page but didn't see anything.

I wasn't there for LOL, but brewers from the club I'm in took home 4 gold medals, which was pretty awesome!

Shannon is doing one in November, it benefits some kind of veterans organization I believe. Do you have any info on the Chimera one? I did a quick check of their website and facebook page but didn't see anything.

I wasn't there for LOL, but brewers from the club I'm in took home 4 gold medals, which was pretty awesome!

I may make a post if no one else does soon. It's called the Pride of Southside Homebrew Invitational. Oct 30 I believe. Home brewers do not serve at the event.

http://www.chimerabrew.com/prideofsouthside/

Back