Specific gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turkey Man

Reaction score
I am new to this site, and I think it is great. Keep up the good work all.

Now for my problem. I am brewing or trying to brew my first ever batch of beer. It is a weizenbier kit, and the final gravity reading is supposed to be 1.010 - 1.014. My brew has been in the fermenter for five days, and bubbling stopped in the airlock after 3 days. The specific gravity has not changed in last 48 hrs. It is steady at 1.016. Will it go down still or is it at a permanent standstill? Am I close enough to the F.G.? Can I siphon it into secondary or do I need to wait? I will take any and all advice.

Thanks.

That's really close to your target FG, and probably as close as you will get. It sounds like your beer is right on schedule.

If the SG hasn't changed in the last 48 hours, go ahead and rack it in couple days. But don't be afraid to leave it in the primary longer, if you like. Even if the main fermentation has passed, the yeast are still active in there slowly working at your beer.

A week in the primary is a good general minimum. And you can safely go two to three weeks for nearly any beer.

Sounds done. Leave it in a week from when you started, then 2weeks in secondary, then three inbottles. There..you have just done the 1,2,3 rule. Beer will taste better this way and be clearer.

You could also try giving the fermenter a swirl to rouse the yeast. Then check the SG again in a few days. If it still hasn't changed it's pretty likely to be finished and you can go to secondary.

Thanks for the quick responses. I also enjoyed seeing a couple of fly fisherman post responses. FF is my true passion. As far as the beer, I have racked beer to secondary and will plan on leaving it in there for a few weeks then. I sincerely appreciate the help.:mug:

Another fly fisherman? Hey, there are some GOOD people on this site!

I haven't been out yet this year, but the trout streams in the mountains open this weekend. I think Bradsul has been out for a while now, though. Any good days yet Brad?

FlyGuy said:
Another fly fisherman? Hey, there are some GOOD people on this site!

I haven't been out yet this year, but the trout streams in the mountains open this weekend. I think Bradsul has been out for a while now, though. Any good days yet Brad?
I'm out at least 3 or 4 times a week. :) I work from home now so I get to go and fish the morning hatches quite often. I also tend to go out for the evening hatch whenever I'm able. Biggest brown I've managed so far is a 22", that was definitely a 'good day'(tm).

bradsul said:
I'm out at least 3 or 4 times a week. :) I work from home now so I get to go and fish the morning hatches quite often. I also tend to go out for the evening hatch whenever I'm able. Biggest brown I've managed so far is a 22", that was definitely a 'good day'(tm).

3 to 4 times a WEEK! Holy shiite! I am lucky to get out 3 to 4 times a month.

You don't have kids, do you????? :)

Good on you, man! Catch a few monsters for me!

:mug:

Denny -- there is some great trout fishing in the BC interior. Nothing like on the island, but better than most of the rest of Canada. You gotta hook up with someone to help you out. Surely there is someone in your neck of the woods that fly fishes and wants to learn AG brewing......

FlyGuy said:
Denny -- there is some great trout fishing in the BC interior. Nothing like on the island, but better than most of the rest of Canada. You gotta hook up with someone to help you out. Surely there is someone in your neck of the woods that fly fishes and wants to learn AG brewing......

Agh.. they all want to drink Bud and Canadian around here.

Yeah, should get back into fishing again. Damn I miss the ocean though. Pulling in a 20 lb salmon vs a 1lb trout...... ;)

Back