kegging a high gravity beer - carb / no carb / cool / no cool

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwheel

Reaction score
I've got a Belgian Strong Ale in the fermenter, and I think I am going to keg it. I have room in the kegerator to serve it and cool it for an extended period of time. I know a lot of people bottle high gravity beers, but I have room to keg it and not worry about it for months.

With that said:

1) Should I hook it up to CO2 for the aging process, or just purge O2 out of the keg and slightly pressurize to seat the seal and then disconnect from CO2?

2) Should I age in the keezer or at room temp?

Thanks!

Most beers are better off being stored cool rather than warm.

High gravity beers can keep changing over time, though, so they might be the exception.

I guess I don't know, is my answer! Sorry. :eek:

Sounds like carbing for a few weeks and then disconnecting makes sense - but as for temp: if it ages slower when it's cold, shouldn't I age it outside of the keezer?

Thanks!

cwheel said:
Sounds like carbing for a few weeks and then disconnecting makes sense - but as for temp: if it ages slower when it's cold, shouldn't I age it outside of the keezer?

Thanks!

That my friend is your preference :)

Thanks!

yes, if you want it to age more. If you want to preserve its qualities in its present form, I would put it in the fridge. That will slow down the conditioning process.

yes, if you want it to age more. If you want to preserve its qualities in its present form, I would put it in the fridge. That will slow down the conditioning process.

Good call - I'll sample when it's done fermenting, and if it's close to where I want it to be, I'll throw it in the keezer. If not, I'll keep it at room temp.

Thanks!

Back