Northern Brewer and Willamette hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El_Exorcisto

Reaction score
I just picked up a lb of NBs and a lb of Willamettes from HopsDirect, and have never used either of them. What other hops play well with NB and Wilamette? What styles are NB known for besides California Common?

Willamettes taste almost English-y to me. I really like them in an APA or amber with cascades. I also use them for bittering for oatmeal stouts.

Northern brewer hops are unique- not really minty or woody, but sorta kinda. I use them in the California common, as bittering for many other beers, and once in a while in late additions for an amber when I don't want a citrusy taste.

In the same boat. Picked up a pound of NB from Hops Direct a while back and want to use them. Tweaked the grain bill on my Imperail Black recipe and changed it to all Northern Brewer hops.

1.088 OG / 80 IBU / 30 SRM

Lots of late addition hops.
The plan is to brew this on Saturday.
I don't have much experience with Northern Brewer.
Think it'll work?

Willamette is a classic English ale hop,I like it. Especially with the other English classic,Kent Golding. Willamette has a earthy,slightly over ripe fruit flavor/aroma,with spice under that. It has a wonderful floral note over all that that I like in lighter ales. To me,Kent Golding has an herby,lemon grass goodness smells & tastes great. Of course,I like to make ales that are light to amber,English/American character-wise.:mug:

Back