Paint Strainer Bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sendkyleanemail

Reaction score
I am headed to my local Sherwin Williams paint store to grab a few strainer bags. They have 5 gallon size for a buck. Anything I need to be sure of before I buy some for brewing?

The paint strainer bags I got at my Ace hardware are coarser than the cheesecloth I used to use. Be careful of the amount of draff you get into your boil kettle. Too fine of a crush will cause astringency.

I now just lauter in the bag, with the bag in my bottling bucket. It works fine because I can vorlauf that way.

I get the same bags from Sherwin Williams too, I can usually fit about half of my grain bill in one bag(with a zip tie). I have used several crushes from several local and not so local brew shops with zero ill results. My only recommendation would be to remove the paper like tag sewn into it.

The paint strainer bags I got at my Ace hardware are coarser than the cheesecloth I used to use. Be careful of the amount of draff you get into your boil kettle. Too fine of a crush will cause astringency.

I now just lauter in the bag, with the bag in my bottling bucket. It works fine because I can vorlauf that way.

if using a bag that isn't as course (Voile works great) you can crush it to almost flour consistency and not extract tannins which is what causes the astringent mouth feel. A course bag allows husk to get into the boil and that is what causes it to be astringent.

Back