Brewtarget 1.2.3 - Free Open Source Brewing Software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question:

I am looking for Pale Malt: Maris Otter in the Fermentables section for my IIPA. Is the listing "Pale Malt (two row) UK" the same thing?

Anyone?

Your software looks real sweet rocketman. I look forward to learning how to use it, while learning how to brew!:mug:

I just discovered one odd behavior:

I put it on my thumb drive. It worked fine on my PC at work. On my home PC, it opens, and I can use it for 10-20 seconds, and then I get: "brewtarget.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." It's that pop-up we've all seen where it asks if I want to send an error report or not.

I tried shutting down all my anit-virus software, one by one to see if it was any of them. Nope. Both machines are running XP Pro SP3. I saved the error report that windows generates. Would that help you de-bug? I know nothing about programming. Maybe it's not a bug at all and it's just my PC. If it will help you, let me know and I can send it to you.

OK...I just installed it right onto my home PC, and same thing. So, it's obviously something with my PC. :( Any ideas?

Ok, I know the author probably has other things to do, like a job, and other interests, so I'll post this an an open question:
Anybody else use this great software with fly sparging? If so, how? Thanks.

Downloaded this night before last and used it yesterday.. Very nice.. I'll have to ask some questions to get it properly populated.. But I was able to adjust the recipe to create the targets I wanted and then hit all the targets pretty well spot on...

Is there any way to change the name of a recipe once created? I'm having trouble figuring out how to do this... Perhaps in a future update if not possible now?..

Downloaded this night before last and used it yesterday.. Very nice.. I'll have to ask some questions to get it properly populated.. But I was able to adjust the recipe to create the targets I wanted and then hit all the targets pretty well spot on...

Is there any way to change the name of a recipe once created? I'm having trouble figuring out how to do this... Perhaps in a future update if not possible now?..

There might be an easier way, but what I do is use the "copy recipe" and give it the new name, then delete the original; kind of wonky, but it works :)

There maybe differences with OS platform, and I am running on Mac, but in the "Recipe" tab the "Name" field is editable.

Same here on Mac.

Also, dumb question: when setting up the mash equipment, whats the difference between the mash volume and mash mass?

I'm using a 10 gallon rectangle cooler for my mash tun. I entered 10 gallons for the volume, but what would I enter for the mass?

Thanks!

These are referring to the mash tun, not the mash itself. It is asking how much your tun weighs.

After creating a recipe with brewtarget and performing a 2 step mash setup, the mash wiz tells me that my initial infusion is a little over a cup, and the second infusion is 1.5 cups, while my mash out is 5 gallons. How do I get mash wiz to fix this?

Can you paste the recipe (Tools->Copy Recipe to clipboard...) here?

That was pretty cool.
Quick question about sparging. Does Brewtarget have a capability to calculate fly sparging? I didn't see it.

So far, I haven't explicitly put in a fly sparging calculation because I'm not really sure what it should calculate. Normally in fly sparging, you heat up the remainder of the water to your sparge temp and just run it until your runnings are 4 Plato or whatever you decide to stop at. If anyone has good ideas about how fly sparge calculations should be implemented in beer software, I'd like to hear them.

Because of the way the databases are laid out, no. As wyrmwood said, the only way is to copy the recipe and change the name when performing the copy. Some of the work we hope to do for the next version will get around this limitation.

Because of the way the databases are laid out, no. As wyrmwood said, the only way is to copy the recipe and change the name when performing the copy. Some of the work we hope to do for the next version will get around this limitation.

Just change the "Name" field and press enter. It's the first text box on the Recipe tab.

Hi there, two things that if they aren't currently availabe i'd like to see in a future release...

1. Brew day notes - On brewday I like to keep notes of everyhting I do so that if I mess something up, want to change something, miss infusion temp, etc I can reference that and modify the recipe for the next batch. Keeping this info in a separate xml if beer xml can't support might be a nice add.
2. Boil adjustment time for extract - For extract brewing I'll sometimes add extract at different times (60, 30, flame out). Right now brewtarget only supports taking the boil time from my equipment info or the "late addition" option. While this doesn't really affect the OG, it does underestimate hop utilization which, in-turn, will drop the IBU'S a few points.

I'm still trying to fixure out the mash calculator but other than that great tool!

i've installed brewtarget and been playing around with it for a couple of weeks now and i am finding it really very useful. i have a couple of small suggestions that you can, of course, implement or ignore.

1) i'd like some ways to divide/subdivide/categorize the recipes. My original motive in this was i'd like to keep all the recipes that it comes with, but i'd also like to be able to view only the recipes that i have already made. This could be done by adding a field to the database, or perhaps be allowing the user to keep multiple databases or recipes. Of course, there are other categories that come to mind that might come in useful as well.

2) Along with this, i'd like a "rating" field somewhere. One to five stars, perhaps.

3) The ability to search and find recipes based on any of the ingredients or rating.

Regardless of whether you find these do-able or useful, much thanks for the time and effort you've already put into this.

So far, I haven't explicitly put in a fly sparging calculation because I'm not really sure what it should calculate. Normally in fly sparging, you heat up the remainder of the water to your sparge temp and just run it until your runnings are 4 Plato or whatever you decide to stop at. If anyone has good ideas about how fly sparge calculations should be implemented in beer software, I'd like to hear them.

So, if the equipment I am using has a 20 gallon or so HERMS reservoir, I should just put in the amount of water we are recirculating and just treat it like a batch sparge? Usually, we just turn off the pump when the mash tun is empty.

i personally would like to see the flavor notes in the hop chooser window, kind of a pain to have to go into the edit window for each hop, otherwise, great program

This is the first software I am using, looks great. Does it convert extract recipe to all grain? I have one I would like to switch over.

Thanks for making this available.

I have a few questions - and sorry if they're noobish. :D I've been brewing with a friend for about 7 years, but he's always worked off a custom spreadsheet. Works great for him, but not very user-friendly. :D As always, it's the results that count, right?

Anyway, I'm branching off on my own and want to stick to his gravity-fed simple methods (although, knowing me, I'm already planning on a sculpture and a pump and some other conveniences. . . heh) but want to use a program and really like this one. . .

But - I don't know what I should put in for the Mash. We do a simple mash - heat water to 162 (for my last Amber), put in the grain, make sure it's 156, mash for an hour, then continuous sparge to lauter it out.

How would I input this into the program?

PLEASE tell me it's not completely obvious and that I'm not over-complicating yet something else!!! :tank:

thanks!

I've been looking through the bugs and feature requests. I like the cloud idea you've posted that was inspired by Nostalgia. I think there is a simple way to address this within Brewtarget.

If the user could specify the database folder, the user could simply choose a folder within Dropbox. The databases would be instantly synced between all computers. This also has the added benefit of using Dropbox's archive capabilities of reverting back to previous versions of the file.

I didn't know if this was obvious to everyone else, but the beta 1.2.3 has been replaced by a "release" 1.2.3 (I think???)- in any case, the current download at source forge has (more) accurate ABV calcs.

Thanks!!

But - I don't know what I should put in for the Mash. We do a simple mash - heat water to 162 (for my last Amber), put in the grain, make sure it's 156, mash for an hour, then continuous sparge to lauter it out.

How would I input this into the program?

PLEASE tell me it's not completely obvious and that I'm not over-complicating yet something else!!! :tank:

thanks!

Click the "+" button on the mash tab to add your mash steps. In the first, input the name, infusion amount, infusion temp (162 F), and target temp (156 F). Same thing for the sparge. If you don't know what amounts/temps you need, you can click the "Mash Des" button.

If the user could specify the database folder, the user could simply choose a folder within Dropbox. The databases would be instantly synced between all computers. This also has the added benefit of using Dropbox's archive capabilities of reverting back to previous versions of the file.

Agree. Will do this.

Very nice program. Does everything I need to brew a typical 5 gal batch at home. I got my feet wet using Beersmith so navigating my way around Brewtarget was pretty easy. Viewing the video and following the example in the manual was a big help.
It's cool I can run it from a folder in "Dropbox" because I divide my time among at least 3 computers.

Installed and messed around with. Had a question on the recipes. Have folks built out the xml file for a larger number of beer styles? Do you have an xml slicer 'n' dicer so folks could easily share recipes? Perhaps with a larger xml file stored at sourceforge or some such place?

I know - I should read the manual, use the tool for a while, then ask questions.

you can export the recipes (creates the requisite xml file) and import - that's how I've been transferring them from my work laptop to my desktop to my home laptop. . . it's pretty cake. I take mine, put them on google-docs so I can DL them later.

You should be able to post here as an attachment (trying with my O'Rally Red) and then DL and import the recipe. Oh wait - sorry, xml is not valid doc for attachment. Hmmm. . ..

beer styles, go to View-Styles and you can input all of the requisite numbers to create the style, but there is a very large number of styles already in there. . .

Rocketman, I know your list of to-dos is not long enough so I thought of another suggestion for ya!

It would be nice to have a sortable recipe screen. You could pull up all of your recipes and then sort them by style, extract/mini/ag, color, IBUs, alcohol, etc. I like that you can select a specific recipe from the main screen but as you personal recipe list grows it gets more and more difficult to remember what in the world those crazy names you came up with are. Then, the ability to open that recipe from the window would be a nice the final touch.

I've got some basic programming skills but working on an actual application is well beyond me. Any suggestions on where I could start learning how this all works? I think what you've got going here is fantastic and I would love to help.

Back