DMS in Pilsen Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fletch78

Reaction score
My first AG last weekend was all Pilsen, I only did a 60 minute boil and it took an hour to chill it to 100 degrees. I wasn't too worried about it, until I started reading some things here over the last week about DMS particular to pilsen malt.

Is this beer going to just suck? I never smelled any creamed corn, during the boil, after the boil, or from the airlock.

Why does pilsen malt have more DMS potential than regular pale malt?

Is it really that big of a deal? There seems to be some debate, I'm not trying to stir up too much of an argument, I really just want the lowdown on it.

Thanks!

(go dawgs!) :mug:

I do 90min boils for all brews over 50% Pils. Do a vigorus boil with bubble masses breaking the surface (not leaping out ot the pot)

Cool down below 140 ish as quickly as you can and DO NOT place the kettle lid on tight when first cooling down so the steam carries out the SMM/DMS

-Cheers

My first AG last weekend was all Pilsen, I only did a 60 minute boil and it took an hour to chill it to 100 degrees. I wasn't too worried about it, until I started reading some things here over the last week about DMS particular to pilsen malt.

Is this beer going to just suck? I never smelled any creamed corn, during the boil, after the boil, or from the airlock.

Why does pilsen malt have more DMS potential than regular pale malt?

Is it really that big of a deal? There seems to be some debate, I'm not trying to stir up too much of an argument, I really just want the lowdown on it.

Thanks!

(go dawgs!) :mug:

Its been a long time, but how did the beer turn out?

Back