Question about Bottle Storage and Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcreveli

Reaction score
I bottled my first beer about 2 weeks ago and my second a week later. Due to space constraints and desire for continued domestic bliss I have the beer in our basement at about 60 degrees. What I am hoping to do next week is to move the now fully carbed beer (Assuming it is carbed up) to the basement and rotate beer to upstairs. Do I need to do anything to beer to when I move it to ensure proper carbination?

It may take your beer longer to carbonate at 60 degrees. After bottling, I store the cases in my upstairs clothes closet, which is probably closer to 70-72 degrees. After it's carbonated sufficiently (usually around 3 weeks) I move it back to the brewery in the basement. Hope this helps!

I usually leave my bottles at room temp for 3 weeks then move them to the 'man-cave' in the basement (60 ish). Once the beer is carbed, cooler temps is no problem at all.

It will simply take your beer longer to carb and condition. For normal or average grav beers it usually takes around 3 weeks, when stored at 70 degrees or more, for them to carb, and lose some of their greenness.

If you are storing them at sixty, I wouldn't expect to see signs of carbonation til 5 or 6 weeks. I have a similar issue in my loft this time of year. I keep it in the low 60's or it costs an arm an a leg to heat. Knowing this I just wait it out til they are carbed. I don't even bother checking a bottle til pretty much the forth week.

Latest posts

Back