Hop Farm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gp125racer

Reaction score
All,

Im wondering if anyone has experience with purchasing hops directly from a local hop farm. Im looking to eliminate the middle man by making my own trip to Oregon or Washington and picking up some FRESH hops, and storing them at home. :mug:

Thanks in advance,
gp125racer

I've never done it, but it sounds like fun. :D

I'm still actively trying to find an alleged source of wild hops near where an old brewery used to be in my town.

Save the gas & buy from hopsdirect.com. Ordered 1# ea of cascade and nugget and got almost 2# ea for about $12. Local farm in WA I believe. Get yourself a food sealer though to keep them fresh.

Hop farms sell by the bale: 200 pounds. It's probably too late to buy from the farms anyway, harvest is over. Farms pick, dry, pack & sell, frequently the same day.

If you want hops straight from the farm, you'll have to come up during the harvest & purchase by the bine (vine), then pick, dry & pack them yourself. There is a HopMadness event here every year where homebrewers get together & buy 3-4 bines, then pick & brew with fresh wet hops.

Depending on your exact location, you should be able to grow hops in barrels.

David,

Do you have any contact info for those local hops farms?

Im hoping to get:
1) Name of Farm (or individual who owns the farm)
2) Phone Number
3) Street Address

Thanks!
-=gp125racer=-

No, I just go along for the ride.

Sean - wet hops have a few flavor notes that dried hops won't have. They tend to the citrus/fruity end of the scale. There was a Fresh Hop fest the 14th in Portland, 22 ales brewed with hops straight off the bine.

Latest posts

Back