Hobgoblin clone help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stee41

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am Steve from the UK,
I am a born again brewer and need some advice on 2 brews I really want to make, this advice needs to be in Laymans terms as I don't remember all the technical terms for ingredients etc...I have found recipes on this site for Hobgoblin but I need it simplified so I can follow it, can anyone help, cheers to you all
Steve
:mug:

Q: Is my galss half empty or half full?

Hi all,
I am Steve from the UK,
I am a born again brewer and need some advice on 2 brews I really want to make, this advice needs to be in Laymans terms as I don't remember all the technical terms for ingredients etc...I would like good trusted recipes for Stella Artois clone but I need it simplified so I can follow it, can anyone help, cheers to you all
Steve
:mug:

Q: Is my glass half empty or half full?

Hi Steve and welcome.

Can you tell us more about what you have for a set up for brewing? If you've done extract, steeping, partial mash or all grain?

Hi VTBrewer,
thanks for the reply,
I mainly use extract tins and add enhancer if required, I tried hops and grains many years ago with moderate success, I still have a 50litre mashtun and I am prepared to use it if it makes a better brew than extract.

I have just purchased a coopers mex cerveza and will try this as my first brew on returning to making beers, I intend to bottle this batch.

I also have a kingkeg top tap which I would like to make use of.
I still have all of my other brewing equipment, ie: heat trays and brew belts, scales and meters etc, I am busy replacing all the perishable rubbers on the equipment.

I am a bit out of touch with brewing but as I read this forum stuff comes back to me although I will need assistance as I am bound to make mistakes, hence me asking for a laymans easy to follow recipe for Hobgoblin and Stella Artois.

Hope you can help
best regards
Steve

Steve, there is no doubt that all grain makes a better brew than all extract to me.

I make Hobgoblin regurlarly, but do all grain. My advise would be to convert an all grain recipie to extract with steeping grain. Use a calculator to change the base grain to an amount of extract and keep the steeping grains in the recipie the same. Also use your hops the same as in the recipie.
Orfy has a Hobgoblin recipie here somewhere if you search the recipie section. I recommend it.
As for a recipie for Stella..... unless you have lagering and are doing all grain, I'm afraid your brew won't turn out to be a good imitation of Stella. Oh you can make a good beer doing extract, but getting the crispness that a Stella has requires a low long mash regime with the right malts and the correct hops.

And unless you live in a far colder place than I do, and I don't think you do as you live in the UK, then throw away that brew belt for making beer. I ferment at ambient temps in my basement for ales and my ambient ranges from 62f to 68f. Making good beer is temperture dependent and the higher the temperture, with some styles excepted, the worse the beer is. Brewing within the temperture range for the yeast you select is important.

Cheers

Back