Hefe Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zenman

Reaction score
Hi all had a great brew day yesterday with my SWMBO. We brewed up a hefe using wheat extract, sterling and Halleratau hops. We steeped some blood orange wedges & zest and added that to the fermentor when we put in the wort. Gravity came out great and the color is like a desert sunset, a pale yellowish color with a hint of reddish orange. Looks a smells amazing. Pitched Wyest liquid yeast, american hefe weizen strain.

My question is on time in the primary prior to bottling. I understand Hefes are supposed to be drank a little younger and greener than most beers. Every other beer I have left in primary for 3 weeks, then bottle for 3 weeks before trying it out. Is this to long for the hefe? Should I only primary it for 10 days? 14 days? thoughts? thanks.

If your gravity is stable, you can get away with bottling after 14 days. You can let it go another week, or crash cool it if you don't want a lot of sediment. Then you need to give it the normal 21 days to carbonate.

Ok I think I'll try 2 weeks in primary, couldn't find to much clear consensus searching around, other than it should be drank young and not aged.

Unless it's a Weissbock or fruit wheat, I keg wheat beers after two weeks. A week carbing in the kegerator and they are ready. They do improve a little as I drink them, but not much.

Bottling, you will want to check gravity, but I imagine they will be ready to bottle in about two weeks.

Back