Adding Ingredients to Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLEEPYDUB

Reaction score
I just finished making my first batch of Porter and its sitting in the Primary right now. I was wanting to add some roasted coconut to the concoction and was cosidering adding it to the Secondary, but ive heard of people just adding it to the Primary and letting it sit for the last 4 days of Fermentation.

What would you guys suggest? 2ndary? or Primary? I plan on leaving it in the Primary a minimum of 2 weeks, maybe longer. thanks!

I've used coconut in a double chocolate stout. I used one cup of toasted coconut flakes in secondary for the 5 gal. batch and it added slight flavor and aroma. Racking to the bottling bucket was not real fun, I would recommend using a sanitized mesh bag on the cane tip.:tank:

I've not researched or read about coconut but I do know it contains a lot of oil.
I guess the roasting may take some of it out.

I do know there's at least one commercial variety. Have you tried one?

i havent tried one, thats why im making it lol...

i am roasting the coconuts, and then putting them into a cheesecloth into the 2nd fermenter for about 5 days

Latest posts

Back