Is this refractometer ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i concluded a while back that a refractometer is a tool of very limited usefulness, considering the drawbacks. refer to this thread how does a refractometer work

of course lots of people will disagree

well, I disagree as well. I got to use one and for what it does, I don't think 30 bucks is a horrible investment. I just want to know if I am throwing away 30 bucks with these less expensive ones.

The first one is only 0-18% Brix. You are going to want the 0-32% brix, unless you only brew low gravity beers.

Other than that the second one looks good. I bought the cheapest one I could find on ebay, and it was DOA. I got a refund and bought a new one from another company on ebay and it works great.

Keep in mind though, both times it said it was shipping from the US, and it actually was drop shipped from the manufacturer in China, so it took about 2 weeks.

edit: I just noticed the second one says the item is located in Hong Kong, so you should already expect it to take a while.

Back