If a full boil is possible, DO IT!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Reaction score
I've done about 15 extract brews this year. All with a 3 gallon boil. I've always been pleased with the brews, but there was always a sticky, and sometimes twangy taste that stopped these brews being something special.

Now, in my anticipation of going AG, I decided to buy the ingredients for 4 identical brews before I went AG. I thought it might be a good idea to brew 4 batches with the exact same recipe to test my method.....I brewed the first three, and they were decent ESBs. I liked them well enough. Before I brewed the last one, I had made my keggle, and bought my SQ14 burner for my AG. In a rush to get that equipment christened, I decided to brew my last extract with it. A full boil instead of 3 gallons.

I have read on this forum that a full boil is preferable, and will improve the brew. I have also read here that if you are going to full boil a 5 gallon batch, you REALLY need an IC. I call bullcrap on that one!

I used the exact same method for this brew as always except I did a full boil. I cooled the wort by throwing a bunch of clean ice directly into the wort. I Had it cooled in about twenty minutes.

I had the first glass from this batch today, and quite frankly, compared to my previous extract brews, this is like sucking on Anjelina Jolie's nipples compared to a night out with Roseanne Barr in a pizza parlour. THIS BREW ROCKS!!!!!

In particular, I noticed that I had a much better head than before, and the head retention was better. I even had better lacing. Much more importantly, the taste was a LOT less sugary, and the mouth feel was much more crisp.

If I were served this pint in an English pub, I would be raving about it!

These are not good pics. Low light levels don't show the clarity, but you can see the head, retention and lacing. IMO these are good for the style.

bitter1wv7.jpg

bitter2ul0.jpg

And the only difference between a "decent" brew, and a "superior" brew was this.

keggle1jd5.jpg

If it is within your means to do a full boil for extract, then DO IT!!! You will be greatly rewarded!! :D

NEW FULL BOIL EXTRACT ANALOGY!!!!

compared to my previous extract brews, this is like sucking on Anjelina Jolie's nipples compared to a night out with Roseanne Barr in a pizza parlour. THIS BREW ROCKS!!!!!

Hey guys, get off my ass! I'm very PROUD to feel that I learned something worth repeating!! :eek:

Don't get on my back because I use the google search and read the wiki pages instead of starting new beer threads when I need to learn something. This is a turning point for me! :D

I just had an epithany, it's kinda nice! :)

Congrats! I found out the same thing when I did a full boil of AHS's Anchor Porter Clone. It was my first extract beer that did not have the twang of an extract.

Welcome to the club, The Full Boil Angelina club! :D

Congrats! I found out the same thing when I did a full boil of AHS's Anchor Porter Clone. It was my first extract beer that did not have the twang of an extract.

Welcome to the club, The Full Boil Angelina club! :D

Thanx, :) My REAL reason for this thread was that I thought that the difference between a full and partial boil for extract has been previously understated on this forum. I know that it ain't nothin' new, I just thought the whole notion of a full boil needed a bit of a boost. :)

I am a huge advocate of full boils. I think you can make outstanding beers with extract if you follow a few simple rules:

1. Full boil
2. Never get prehopped extract, always boil fresh hops.
3. Always use light malt extract and steep crystal/roasted malts for the color you want.

I also like DME as opposed to LME, but if you can get fresh LME it should be fine. Otherwise just follow the rest of the basic brewing rules of sanitation and pitching rates ect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gnomey, Gnomey, Gnomey. All together now, let's chant. Gnomey, Gnomey, Gnomey.:D

I haven't gone AG either, but I have done full boils. World of difference, sort of equivalent to the mind-blowing difference between a typical Gnome rant and actually Gnome brewing. Awesome.:mug:

So, why did no bugger ever tell ME that a full boil was so much better!! :(

All I ever read here is that it is "preferable" or "quite nice"......Let's face it! the difference is like a peanut butter sandwich, or a butter sandwich! I can't help feeling that a full boils was always understated in this forum!

wibble

All I ever read here is that it is "preferable" or "quite nice"......Let's face it! the difference is like a peanut butter sandwich, or a butter sandwich! I can't help feeling that a full boils was always understated in this forum!

wibble
You just weren't paying enough attention.:D

wibble
Where the butter sadmich is better :confused:

Congrats, LG! If you think going to full boils made a difference, wait until you go AG! You're still welcome to make the drive down to my place anytime to brew.

I pay attention to the Gods of brewing, and she (Yooper) didn't emphasize it enough...... Bad naughty Yooper!! She needs a damned good spanking!

Can't I stay here and peril just a little longer?

No, no... it's far too perilous.

You're gay, aren't you?

I've done about 15 extract brews this year. All with a 3 gallon boil. I've always been pleased with the brews, but there was always a sticky, and sometimes twangy taste that stopped these brews being something special.

I took the liberty of translating this to reflect LG's British accent for those that are interested. :D

Oi've done abouut feeftayn ex'trakt brauws thees yeer. All wif 'a tree gollon boyl. Oi've always been playsed wif da brows but dere was aw'ways a steeky, n' somtoymes twangee tayste dat stopped theyse brauws bee'n som' spayshel.

:D :D :D

I took the liberty of translating this to reflect LG's British accent for those that are interested.

Oi've done abouut feeftayn ex'trakt brauws thees yeer. All wif 'a tree gollon boyl. Oi've always been playsed wif da brows but dere was aw'ways a steeky, n' somtoymes twangee tayste dat stopped theyse brauws bee'n som' spayshel.

:D :D :D
Your command of Gnome is very impressive.:D

The only reason I have yet to do a full boil is that I'm still unsure on how to calculate hop usage. I use AHS extract kits exclusively and their directions call for 2.5 gallon boils. I do 3 gallon boils and add half of the LME when the wort boils, and the other half for the last 15 minutes of the boil. Is there a reliable way to calculate hop usage other than Beersmith? (I'm a mac owner, and Beer Alchemy sucks)

I wonder if it makes sense, for those of us still trapped in a 5 gallon kettle, to boil as much as possible? Would it be better to do a 3.5 gallon boil, rather than a 2 gallon boil?

I shall convert my recipes to full boil. But what about the people that do not have large enough pots and/or electric stoves?

Forrest

I shall convert my recipes to full boil. But what about the people that do not have large enough pots and/or electric stoves?

Forrest

Rather than totally convert all recipes to full boil, may I suggest just including an adjustment schedule with your printed direction sheet?

Jason

Forrest

Forrest, thanks a lot for responding. Maybe do instructions for 2.5 gallon boils and 5 gallon boils. Your kits are the sh*t! Can't wait to try the American IPA1 I brewed on wednesday.

+1 Just add a line in the directions and/or in the hop schedule. For full boils use xx amount of hops. Leave the rest of the sheet alone for those who still do partial boils.

How about a math question?
If I want a five gallon full boil, how much water do I actually start with?
Is late malt extract still a good idea?

How about a math question?
If I want a five gallon full boil, how much water do I actually start with?
Is late malt extract still a good idea?

It depends on your system (wide shallow pots boil off more than tall narrow ones, for example), but I start with just under 6 gallons.

There really isn't any reason for a late extract addition any more. With a larger boil, carmelization shouldn't be a concern and the hops utilization should be pretty much maxed out with a full boil. AG brewers do a full wort boil, so the hopping that you do should resemble the AG recipe's hopping.

L.G.Dude,

Very profoundly interesting,
full boils.
Hmmmm... yes!

This is valuable information and 'mental gold' to me,
and searching for 'good ideas' is why I read the 'Homebrew Talk' forum.
an idea which basically is 'revolutionary in its implications'
but free...
and a way to greatly improve my ale,
It is so simple.

A full boil.

Question:

I imagine boiling two...
2.5 gallon brew pots on the stove in my kitchen
{out of the wind}
would not use any more propane,
would cool down much faster than that big aluminum brew pot.
and I am worried about using aluminum to cook with anyway.
I hear it gives you lead poisoning or something.
Aluminum poisoning?
Anyway, Does boiling my wort in a 'split shift' sort of arrangment,
bring any problems to mind for any of ya'll?
I was actually thinking about this very problem the other night
as I was brewing a batch of 'Mein Hammerbier'.
But thought well...
extra propane for what?

If you have tried it and think it is so good,
I will definatly 'do a double' next time.

And thanks

Good idea

and ideas are free!

J. Winters VonKnife
jacksknifeshop

+1!! I am looking at starting to do full boils. I use AHS kits and some new instructions would be great!!

It depends on your system (wide shallow pots boil off more than tall narrow ones, for example), but I start with just under 6 gallons.

There really isn't any reason for a late extract addition any more. With a larger boil, carmelization shouldn't be a concern and the hops utilization should be pretty much maxed out with a full boil. AG brewers do a full wort boil, so the hopping that you do should resemble the AG recipe's hopping.

Call me difficult but what would be best, boil six gallons with the possibility of ending up over 5 gallons thus lowering your OG or boil right at five gallons with toping off at the end and coming in closer to your OG?

I took the liberty of translating this to reflect LG's British accent for those that are interested. :D

that sounds more australian to me... :p

so...what's the reason for this? i often do partial boils (with my partial mash batches, usually) and never get the twang. i have had the twang with full extract brews, tho.

what's the science??? sorry, i'm forever the skeptic :D

Latest posts

Back