Newbie With Some Questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crisco87

Reaction score
Okay so I just put in 6 gallons of Apple Cider into my primary fermenting bucket. My LHBS told me to let it ferment in there for about a week then rack to my carboy. The bucket is just covered by a tight lid and I have a blanket wrapped around to keep a semi-constant temperature.
To the 6 gallons of Cider I added 3 lbs of sugar. After adding the sugar my SG was 1.070...but the sugar wasn't mixed in very well.

So here's my question. It's been over 26 hours and my cider BARELY has a layer of foam...I wouldn't even call it a layer...more like spots of foam. Is this normal? I am using Cote des Blancs. Should I just wait it out? I didn't make a starter or use initial camden tablets. I hope I didn't ruin this.

Yes, this is normal. Cider doesn't krausen nearly as much as beer does, so don't expect to see a lot of activity. I wouldn't worry about a starter. Was this fresh pressed juice, or pasteurized storebought? If it's fresh juice, then you may have to be concerned (not worried, not yet) about wild yeasts.

You must either put an airlock in that lid or remove the lid and cover the bucket with a sanitized cloth. If you cover with a tight lid, it won't stay on. The co2 has to have somewhere to go.

For the yeast you're using, this is normal; though some wine yeasts DO infact generate substantial foam; it just depends on the yeast strain & the sugar/nutrients in the must you pitch it into. Here is some useful info on cote des blanc via Jack Keller.
Côte des Blancs : Formerly known as Epernay 2, this is another slow fermenting, very low foaming and low flocculating yeast tolerant of low temperatures. It tends to bring out floral and fruity qualities in wines and can be useful in both grape--especially fruity German style whites-- and non-grape wines--such as peach or raspberry--where a bouquet is especially desired. This yeast will not push alcohol production over 13% in a cool fermentation but has a range of 12-14%.
Hope you find some of this info useful. Regards, GF.

Very helpful. I looked at it this morning/afternoon around noon or so (I work nights so it's my morning) and it had a decent steady flow of small bubbles coming up. It wasn't foaming at all -- but it had a very steady stream of bubbles. I just used store bought cider. I live in an apartment so I don't have a press...yet.
That info that gratus posted really is helpful. I live in WA and the temperatures up here are pretty chilly so now that I know it's more tolerant of low temperatures alleviates some stress.
I am not really concerned with the lid not staying on. It has room for the CO2 to get out and I have a blanket wrapped around it. I was told by my LHBS the first phase of fermentation requires oxygen which is why an airlock isn't recommended. Is that wrong? Should I drill a hole and use the airlock? If not I am just going to continue on course and rack to my 5 gal better bottle in about a week or two.

If it is covered by a tight lid, how does it have room for the co2 to get out? Are you saying the lid is on or not. Open fermentation is often used for primary, people often just secure a sanitized cloth over the bucket with a bungee cord. If your lid is on tight, then the co2 has no where to go at all, that's why I am confused.

You must either put an airlock in that lid or remove the lid and cover the bucket with a sanitized cloth. If you cover with a tight lid, it won't stay on. The co2 has to have somewhere to go.

Sorry - don't mean to start another thread here, but this is the first time I have heard the term "sanitized cloth" Obviously you use a clean one, but is there a way to sanitize it? just wondering. . .

Maybe it doesn't have room to get out. I just figured it did since when I pop the lid it doesn't fizz or make the hissing noise. I am probably wrong, though. What do you recommend in the way of using a "sanitized cloth?"

If you have a lid, it's ok to loosely put that on top. Otherwise, throw a clean towel over it (to keep out fruit flies and the like). Don't worry about sanitizing- the co2 is coming OUT, and the towel isn't going into the must anyway.

Okay. I'll just set the lid on there loosely. I am just really concerned with the whole fruit fly pest. We have quite a few in the area so I am very contientious about the possiblity of them getting in.

Okay. I'll just set the lid on there loosely. I am just really concerned with the whole fruit fly pest. We have quite a few in the area so I am very contientious about the possiblity of them getting in.

If you have issues with fruit flies, a towel covering it might be better than a lid. You can use some rubber bands or bungee cords, or just tie it, around the top to hold it closed so that the flies can't sneak it through the sides.

If you have issues with fruit flies, a towel covering it might be better than a lid. You can use some rubber bands or bungee cords, or just tie it, around the top to hold it closed so that the flies can't sneak it through the sides.

Okay. I will do this when I get home. Thank you for your help.

Just an update...I just got home and sure enough my lid looked like it was on the verge of exploding. I just bungeed a T-shirt to the top of it and set the lid on the top of it. It was happily bubbling away emitting a nice sulfur lightly apple scent.

Back