Miller Coors Merger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert_Sky

Since 1998
Reaction score
The U.S. Department of Justice closed its investigation of a proposed joint venture between Molson Coors Brewing Co. and Miller Brewing Co. on Thursday, clearing the way for the brewers to combine their U.S. operations.

The eight-month investigation concluded that the joint venture would not reduce competition in the market, the department's antitrust division said in a statement.

The deal was aimed at helping them compete against Anheuser-Busch Cos., which has about half the U.S. market.

"We're obviously very happy about the outcome," Miller spokesman Pete Marino said. "We've believed all along this was a pro-competitive deal." Molson Coors Chief Executive Leo Kiely called Thursday's announcement "a critical milestone.”

“MillerCoors is quickly moving toward becoming a reality," he said in a statement.

Miller is owned by London-based SABMiller PLC. European Union regulators have already approved the deal.

And then InBev sweeps in and snaps up AB.

This is interesting...

INTERVIEW-Modelo CEO unaware of InBev-Anheuser talks
06.06.08, 6:04 PM ET

United States -

* Talk of InBev bid for Anheuser-Busch remains a rumor

* Unaware of any talks between InBev and Anheuser-Busch (nyse: BUD - news - people )

* Modelo expects to be still independent in a year's time

* Modelo must be consulted in any takeover of Anheuser

(Additional quotes, edits, bylines)

By Martin Howell and Chris Aspin

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Carlos Fernandez, the head of Mexico's top brewer Modelo, is somewhat incredulous that his phone isn't ringing off the hook.

As chairman and CEO of Modelo, the maker of Corona beer, he is likely to be a critical figure in what may become the biggest consolidation of the global beer industry. But he says investors and bankers are not calling him with proposals.

"So far, no calls. Which actually I am amazed at. If the deal was pretty close, then I'd have some calls." Fernandez told Reuters in an interview.

Fernandez is not only chairman and CEO of Modelo, the world's No.7 brewer with a market capitalization of about $16 billion. He is also on the board at Anheuser-Busch Cos, the result of the top U.S. brewer's 50 percent stake in Modelo.

News reports in recent weeks that Belgium's InBev NV is about to bid $46 billion for Anheuser leave Fernandez, who started working at Modelo as a teenager and inherited the helm from his uncle in 1997, unmoved.

He says as far as he is concerned the talk of a deal is still nothing more than rumors, and he says he hasn't been told of any talks by Anheuser.

"If there are talks or not I am not really aware of it," Fernandez.

Fernandez said Modelo does not have any agreed option to buy Anheuser's 50 percent stake -- as a way of stopping itself being wedded to InBev in a deal -- though there are provisions for the U.S. brewer to consult it if it faces a takeover.

Modelo has a lot of options and will be examining them, he said. Asked whether he thought Modelo would retain its independence over the next year, he said, "Based on what we have seen today, yes."

INDEPENDENT?

Asked if the strategy was to remain independent, Fernandez said: "I can tell you today that we will continue working as we are working today, controlled by Mexicans, and going forward with our own strategy."

Fernandez also said that Anheuser hasn't called him to make any particular proposal. There is speculation in the market that Anheuser might seek to buy the rest of Modelo as a way of protecting itself against any hostile assault from InBev.

And, he says, consolidation of the industry could easily involve other major brewers.

Fernandez said that any consolidation in the industry was just as likely to involve SABMiller Plc or Danish brewer Carlsberg A/S as Anheuser and InBev.

"Who imagined a year ago that Miller and Coors were going to merge in the U.S. -- that was a play no one saw."

SABMiller won approval Thursday for its plan to combine its U.S. operations, the country's second largest, with No.3 Molson Coors Brewing Co. (nyse: TAP - news - people )

Last October, SABMiller and Molson Coors said they would combine their U.S. operations to create a business that would have annual sales of $6.6 billion, to become the second-largest U.S. market player behind Anheuser. (Editing by Leslie Gevirtz)

Oh...MY...God...

Web site aims to block Anheuser-Busch takeover

A new Web site is trying to block the rumored takeover of Anheuser-Busch Cos. Inc. by Belgium-based brewer InBev SA, playing on patriotic fervor to stop an iconic American firm from slipping into foreign hands.

The Web site, SaveBudweiser.com, encourages visitors to contact elected officials and Anheuser-Busch shareholders to discourage the deal. It features an online petition "To Save Our Beer," and claims to have more than 18,000 signatures.

"We don't want another American icon turned over to a foreign company; we want the motto to remain, "The Great American Lager," the petition says.

It is unclear who is behind the Web site, which says it is not affiliated with Anheuser-Busch. The site is registered and hosted by a company in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. The identity of the Web site administrators is not listed, and the administrators did not return an e-mail seeking comment.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported earlier this week the Web Site was launched by a couple in Florida who live near a member of the Busch family.

The Web site reflects discontent that has flourished since European media outlets published reports late last month that InBev might offer up to $48 billion for Anheuser-Busch. Concern has been particularly strong here in Anheuser-Busch's hometown, where the company employs 6,000 people and gives to a wide variety of local charities.

Both Anheuser-Busch and InBev have declined comment on any potential deal.

Analysts say it could be difficult for Anheuser-Busch executives to deny an offer if InBev makes it. InBev's bid equals about $65 per share for Anheuser-Busch's stock, a steep premium over Friday morning's share price of $57.81.

Still, the deal might become a political issue during an election year when voters are anxious about the economy and wary of overseas investment. That's clearly a sentiment being stoked by the site.

"Anheuser-Busch is a huge supporter of our military and their families both here and abroad and is ranked in the 'Top 50 Military-Friendly Employers,'" the site says. "Recently in the news, talks of a hostile take over of the company have been prevalent. Lets band together as one voice and try to save more than just our beer."

http://savebudweiser.com/

I was dissapointed, I thought for sure I was going to see a big American flag on the front page. Or a slogan like, "InBev can have my BUD when they pry it from my cold, dead hands!"

BOOOORRRRINNNG!!!!:D

Here's the petition, they've got over 23,000 signitures.

To: Anheuser-Busch

Since 1852 Anheuser-Busch has been an American Owned and operated business. In addition to great tasting beer, this company has provided thousands of domestic jobs as well as millions of dollars in charitable donations to nonprofit organizations, disaster relief and has a long history of environmental awareness. Anheuser-Busch is a huge supporter of our military and their families both here and abroad and is ranked in the ‘Top 50 Military-Friendly Employers’.

Recently in the news, talks of a hostile take over of the company have been prevalent. Let’s band together as one voice and try to save more than just our beer. We don’t want another American icon turned over to a foreign company; we want the motto to remain…The Great American Lager.

Sincerely,

Here's what the website needs...(I can't believe I wasted time ACTUALLY doing it....)

colddeadhands.jpg

they are a publicly held company that is has a responsibility to its owners(shareholders) to make them the most money possible and if inbev puts a big enough carrot out there you will see those owners take the money, or inbev shares most likely. The weak dollar is the only thing making this rumored merger possible since inBev can buy out the shareholders on the cheap.

If the busch family wants to keep it an american company they should buy back the shares and make the company private again that is the only way that you can guarentee Bud to stay american.

Would inbev's purchase really affect the product good or bad?

Inbev would not affect the product. Bud and Bud light are by far the best selling beers in the world. Inbev probably wants to get that and Buds deal with Mexican and Chinese brewers. China has the most market potential and Bud is cleaning up there with its work with Tsing Tao (I think). This is more about leverage around the world for market share and raw materials than anything.

I think it has the most to do with the terrible shape of the dollar. There is no way InBev could afford a deal like this if the dollar was not so weak.

Bud's brand recognition and distribution know-how are amazingly valuable. If InBev can put Stella on every shelf right next to Bud, and scale up production of Stella without losing the perception of quality, I coudn't see their sales doing anything but skyrocketing.

Back