How long can a mead stay in the primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crossing,

What type of mead and what strain of yeast are you using? Some types of meads can benefit from a long exposure time to the lees, but again, it depends on what you are making and what yeast is being used.

I just made a sweet show-mead with OB honey and D47 yeast which I intend on keeping on the lees for a full year before racking for the first time. It just so happens that D47 is one of those strains that you can do that with - others you cannot. Also, right now I am stirring the lees 2-3 times a week while fermentation is still active, then will continue to stir once a week for the remainder of the 12 month period before I rack. I'm doing this in order to maximize the lees exposure to the mead as it will impart the flavor characteristics I'm looking for.

With that being said, there are some yeast strains that you need to rack off of ASAP as they will impart flavor characteristics to your mead that are not desireable. Again, it all depends on what it is you're trying to make. Do a search on 'lees aging' over at www.gotmead.com for a WHOLE LOT of useful information about this topic.

- GL63

Thanks for the info. It is an orange blossom mead, and I am usuing D47. It's been in the primary almost 2 months. I just wanted to make sure that it was ok to leave it in there.

Do most people stir the lees on a regular basis, or is it only used for a specific result?

Most people who age on the lees, do stir to keep the lees in suspension. I don't think you absolutely have to do that, but the flavor characteristics that you are striving for will not be fully imparted in the mead if you do not stir.

- GL63

Back