reducing a all grain batch to a smaller test batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mortus0868

Reaction score
If i wanted to make a smaller all grain batch how do i cut the grain bill down and hops????

With the grainbill, you want to look at what percentage each grain is of the total poundage and then just scale from there. So if you have a grain bill for 5 gallons that's 9lbs 2-row and 1lbs Crystal 40L, that's 90% 2-row and 1lb Crystal 40. To scale that down to a 1 gallon batch, that means the total grain bill is now 2 pounds instead of 10lbs. 90% of 2lbs is 1.8lbs of 2 row and 10% C40 is 0.2 lbs. You want to keep the composition of the grainbill the same. Reduce the hops in a similar proportional manner.

it scales linearly. ie, if your 5 gallon recipe calls for 10lbs of base malt, use 2lbs in a 1 gallon batch (10/5). same with hops. this is why recipes are reported in percentages, so you can get a feel for the relative impact of each ingredient no matter what the batch size. efficiency also plays a role, so your percentages may not be exactly the same if you are doing small BIAB batches with lower efficiency (and need to add relatively more base malt to hit the same OG).

most brewing software will scale recipes for you.

Beersmith does it too if you have that.

I second this motion.

The PC application of beersmith (if I remember correctly) is a little pricey, but the version for android phones/pads is very affordable and super helpful.

You just plug in the recipe at whatever size you brewed it at and then you can "scale" it for a different brewing system/size. Pretty neat and a great way to keep track of your brews and variations of them, as you can copy and change any part of a recipe.

Cheers!

:)

Also, I didn't know you could scale in the Android app. I have it too. Is that possible?

Yes Sir I believe you can. I only have one system but I'm pretty sure if you apply a different system to a recipe you have programmed you can scale.

Back