Mother gone bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ltdead

Reaction score
I'm relatively knew to brewing kombucha - I think I started at some point in July. For the first time, one of my mothers looks 'wrong,' and I wanted a second opinion on it.

So, on the bottom part of the picture, you can see the 'skin' that grows on the surface of the tea. At the top of the picture, the 'skin' from previous batches is sort of dangling down from the new growth, and a bunch of bubbles from the culture have forced part of the SCOBY up and out of the liquid. At that point, the mother appears white, bumpy, and waxy. It doesn't look at all like mold to me - but it does look strange. Is that normal healthy growth, or is it unsafe? How do I tell the difference? Can I keep this batch, or do I have to toss it?

GEDC1891.jpg

It looks ok to me. I've seen some strange formations on the scoby's, especially if it got 'injured' i.e. torn at any point, or if one corner of it submerged.

You can test the pH of the batch. The pH should be between 2.5 and 4.6. Within this range, you are likely seeing new growth. Smell your tea. If it smells "right" it should be fine. It should smell a bit like apple cider vinegar when it's ready or like tangy tea.

Back