FYI: Puterbaugh Farms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
Just thought I'd give everyone the heads-up on a great way to keep your base hops around, for not a lot of money. I used to just buy hops as I needed them, which always had a way of leaving me in the lurch. But I found great prices on bulk hops at hopsdirect (Puterbaugh Farms). A few months back---probably towards the end of last year---I ordered a pound each of Cascade, EKG and NB. With shipping, the total was under $30. I foodsaved them, and keep them in my lagerator. They're all great multi-purpose bittering/flavor/aroma hops, and I think I might have gone through maybe half of them in the several months since ordering. I mean, we're talking about less than $7 for 16oz of cascade. Try to get a pound from AHS, and you're paying nearly $20. Even at Freshops, a pound of cascade costs $12 before shipping.

So, yeah, just wanted to let anyone who had heard about Puterbaugh know about them. Of course, the drawback is that you gotta order a pound or more, so it may not be great for specialty hops that you only use once in awhile. But for versatile varieties like Northern Brewer, Goldings, Cascade, Willamette, etc., it's a great deal.

The only problem, if you want to call it that, is that when you order 1 pound, they send you two:D I ordered a pound of Cascade from them and I received 1 lb 15 oz. It's cool though, I use a ton of cascades for dry hopping and with the foodsaver they last forever in the freezer. I have been meaning to grab some northern brewer from them but there isn't room in my freezer for more hops.

Dan

Back