High temp fermentation...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtylarry

Reaction score
I'm currently fermenting an APA with Nottingham yeast. When I got home from work today, ambient temp was around 75.

I was wondering what kind of off flavors I can expect from this brew...

I've not yet brewed anything yet, but from what I've learned so far your at the top edge of the brewing temps. But if at all possible I would try to move it somewhere a tad cooler. Nothing too extreme though, you just want to try and get it to come down around the 70 degree mark, and you should be fine. But like I said I've not yet brewed anything, and I'm just going by what I would do. There are more knowledgeable people on this forum, and hopefully they can help you out.

Hey Larry,

How long has it been fermenting and how long has it been at 75? The suggested range of that yeast, if my memory serves is 57-70, so you're not very far from being within range. To answer your question, you don't have to worry about off flavors from the temperature as much as an incomplete fermentation if it stays at 75 for a long period of time. And also, it's possible that you could be just fine but I would recommend putting the carboy in a trash bag (to collect moisture), putting a wet shirt or towel around the carboy and facing a fan at the carboy. This in itself will lower the temp about 5 degrees just from evaporation. I know it sounds crazy but if you don't have a fermentation chamber, this is a quick fix to adjust just a few degrees.

Best of luck!

Tom

P.S. - To bighoss: How have you gotten to nearly 150 posts without brewing anything? It's time to start brewing!

I pitched the yeast around 8:30 pm last night and I noticed the temp around 11 or so this evening so a little over 24 hours at between 70-75*F. I'm probably worried over nothing, but I just want to know what I could potentially expect out of this batch.

Thanks!

To Tom (not trying to hijack the thread)- Thanks for helping him out with the suggestions, and information on how to cool his wort down to better fermenting temps. As far as my posts go a lot have come from welcoming people to the forums, and asking questions, as well as trying to help other new brewers. Which I know I should try to stay away from since I haven't brewed anything yet. :(

To Larry - I would do what Tom suggested and just try that method. Only being in a little over 24 hours isn't going to cause too much damage at those temps IMHO.

Back