No wort chiller, no problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickeldeposit

Reaction score
For those of you that don’t have a wort chiller or access to one use salt. Put a good amount of rock salt in the ice water bath/ sink while you’re cooling your wort. I recently did a test and I brought down the temp of cooling water to below 8 degrees, that’s a gain/ or loss depending on how you look at it of at least 23 degrees:ban:. Every little bit of help counts.

Happy Brewing:mug:

I used to do this before I had a chiller..I also created a fake counter flow in the sink by moving the ice in one direction and moving the hot wort in the other direction. Usually got to about pitching temps in 30 min.

My brew pot doesnt fit all the way into the sink so I can use the dish sprayer do-dad to circulate cold water around and under the pot. This is especially helpful after all my ice has melted.

I would be careful, as a salt water bath would likely discolor a stainless steel pot if it's really briney... I did a regular ice bath, no salt, last night on a 16QT SS stock pot, and it was at pitching temps in 15-20 mins... secret is to keep it moving... the wort, not the pot. :)

You dont have to worry about staining the pot for as short of time it exposed....and rinse it off

This would probably work by adding salt to the ice water bath in a pre-chiller as well. I will give that a try!

Eric

I did this for the first time on my last 5 gallon batch. Worked like a charm; I used table salt & stirred the wort. Cooled down in 10 minutes vs. my previous attempts which took over 30 minutes.

I'm sure any salt will work, but I use Ice cream salt, $1.50-$2 for a nice size box that will last a few times.

Back