Wyeast 1007 versus WLP029

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kscomp0

Reaction score
Can anyone give me some ideas regarding their experiences with these two yeasts? How do they compare and contrast?

I am really interested in the following
Levels of sulfur production?
They are both poor flocculators, but can you get one to clear faster than the other?
Ester profile and production at higher temperatures?

Any other comments.
Thanks

WLP029 makes a very good beer, you can get it clear by crash cooling. It leaves a nice compact yeast cake on the bottom. I've used it on my kolsch and found it very drinkable at about the 6 week mark. I haven't used the wyeast strain but imagine it's pretty similar.

Big,
What kind of temps have you used for 029, and how was the sulfur and ester production?

I use 1007 regularly. I don't detect much sulfur during fermentation or finished beer, maybe a little. It will clear if cold crashed; I've never tried finings. I ferment with it anywhere from 58-62 depending on the beer, and it results in very clean tasting beer. I'm sure you would get some fruitiness if you went higher in temperature not to mention some serious blowoff.

1007 was my only yeast for a few years. I open fermented in a 1/2 keg. Pitch 3 litre starter on 11 gallons of cooled wort. Put in my basement (about 68*f) draw beer out from under the yeast cake in 6 days. If I did everything right, I had good clear beer. If the keg wasn't level or I screwed up, the yeast cake fell into the beer and it was cloudy. Its a clean true top fermenting yeast.

I know nothing about the 029.

David

Back