Bottle time for bigger beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long does something in the 7-8% range, or something like this need to sit before it's ready to drink?

There's no "set" time with any beer, we're dealing with living micro-organisms afterall...anything we suggest will just be a rough estimate of when to start testing them, your time and conditions may vary :D

I've had stouts and porters have take 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up. And just becasue it's fizzy doesn't mean it still doesn't need more time to condition.

If it's that big a beer I wouldn't crack my first one til it was 1 month in the bottle....@ 70 degrees.

More info can be found here....Revvy's Blog, Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. There's even a video.

Yeah, I was curious about a rough estimate..I mean I inquired about the strength with them and then he said 4-6 months. Of course I'm gonna be impatient :tank: I suppose I can do something else with it.

It may need months to lose the rocket fuel taste. I know from my Belgian, but the wait is worth it....

That's why it pays tohave a decent pipeline going, you don't really worry too much when something big is gonna be done, you will have 2-3 beers coming online to drink before hand to keep you occupied.

If I were starting out, and if I only did mailorder, and didn't have 3 LHB's that I deal with (including one I can walk to), I owuld order a big kit like that but also order something low grav that can be done in a shorter time...And brew both of them on a weekend or within a week...that way I'd have the lower grav beer to keep me occupied.

That's exactly what I was thinking of doing. But I have some of my first batch still here, something else in the primary and my brother is ready to do his first. So maybe just something low grav for now..

When I brew bigger beers I don't think of drinking them for at the very least 6 months. I brew batches and stack the cases. I put a date on the ouside and taste at 6 months. I make sure to have an ample stock of IPA and Apfelwein in the pipeline.

Back