flaked corn question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranceamerica

Reaction score
Ok, I'm thinking of brewing a light hybrid beer & biermuncher's cream ale looks interesting:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/cream-three-crops-cream-ale-66503/

it uses flaked corn. where do I buy flaked corn from? homebrew shop or grocery store? if my LHBS doesn't have it, can I substitute something like corn starch - and if corn starch would work, then do I sub 1:1 or ??

Corn meal would be closer than corn starch.

Try whole foods. They have a lot of "flaked" varieties.

Polenta is probably the best substitute if you can't find flaked corn. Flaked corn is far easier to use because you can add it directly to the mash since it is pregelatinized. Keep in mind that it does go rancid quickly, so make sure the source you got it from moves quite a bit of it. And taste it, if it tastes off and doesn't have a fresh corn flavor don't use it.

Some will argue that polenta will give you a fresher corn flavor, but few will argue that it is worth the extra amount of work it takes. But if you can't find fresh flaked corn, get polenta and do a bit of research on how to do an adjunct cereal mash.

Don't use corn starch and no corn is going to give you lautering problems.

ok - my follow up question - i'd imagine if I were using regular rice instead of minute rice, I'd again have to do a cereal mash?
You are correct in this thinking. If you find yourself using polenta go ahead and use regular rice as it will probably be cheaper. But if you are using flaked corn stick with the minuet rice for ease of use.

your lhbs should have both flaked corn and flaked rice.

this is my favorite lager recipe(sofaranyway)
7# 2row
1#flaked corn
1#flaked rice
.5oz cascade (6.8)60min
.5oz cascade (6.8)30min
mash at 148-150 for 90-120min

nicely malty with a hint of citrus

your lhbs should have both flaked corn and flaked rice.

this is my favorite lager recipe(sofaranyway)
7# 2row
1#flaked corn
1#flaked rice
.5oz cascade (6.8)60min
.5oz cascade (6.8)30min
mash at 148-150 for 90-120min

nicely malty with a hint of citrus
That looks quite a bit like my Standard American Lager recipe, what yeast do you use in that?

You could also use grits instead of flaked corn or corn meal -- and grits are probably a bit less likely to result in a stuck sparge than corn meal. Of course, down here in the south grits are easy to come by. In Seattle they may be harder to find.

You could also use grits instead of flaked corn or corn meal -- and grits are probably a bit less likely to result in a stuck sparge than corn meal. Of course, down here in the south grits are easy to come by. In Seattle they may be harder to find.
Grits are the same thing as polenta.

Also this is the second time in this thread I have seen someone talk about a stuck sparge when using corn. Where did this myth come from? Corn will not under any circumstance give you problems lautering, it has basically no gluten to speak of. I did a Classic American Pilsner this past Sunday with 30% flaked maize and it flowed out beautifully.

Latest posts

Back