How long shall I boil my hopbags in water for perfect sterilisation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I am planning to dryhop in small hopsbags. 1st time I have used them. I wanna boil them in water for some time to sanatize them. How long shall I boil them? Or shall I just put them in water with sanitizer that my LBS sells?

I would put mine in star san. Boiling for 10 minutes should get you just as sanitized. But I feel like as long as the bags are wet with star san they are sanitized. The boiled bag can get contaminated as soon as you take it out and start handling it.

BTW, sterile would require a pressure cooker. Sanitized is good enough.

I would put mine in star san. Boiling for 10 minutes should get you just as sanitized. But I feel like as long as the bags are wet with star san they are sanitized. The boiled bag can get contaminated as soon as you take it out and start handling it.

+1. Just dunk 'em in Starsan.

dgr said:
i would put mine in star san. Boiling for 10 minutes should get you just as sanitized. But i feel like as long as the bags are wet with star san they are sanitized. The boiled bag can get contaminated as soon as you take it out and start handling it.

Btw, sterile would require a pressure cooker. Sanitized is good enough.

+1 boil for ten in my case

Shall I boil them for 10 minutes and then dunk them in cool water with star san? Or is it an overkill?

Back