Next beer to brew - Need Suggestions!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verio

Reaction score
Well, I checked my kegs today, my Fat Tire Clone is looking darn-near empty. I'm leaving for 2 weeks for business, but when I come back, I want to brew a new beer. Any suggestions on what I should brew? Here's a rundown of what I normally drink to give you an idea of my palette -

New Belgium Fat Tire
New Belgium Abbey
Hoegaarden White Ale
Blue Moon
AHS Belgian White
Founders Oatmeal Breakfast Stout clone
Harpoon UFO Hefeweizen
Honey Brown (on occasion)

I don't like hoppy ales, and I definitely HATE IPA's. So far I've brewed my own version of a Belgian white, a Fat Tire Clone, Apfelwein (disgusting), Oatmeal Breakfast stout, and the AHS Belgian White.

Thanks!!

A lot of people seem to completely forget about the japanese style beers...I'd say go for an asahi/kirin style beer...

Would you consider branching out and doing something slightly out of the ordinary? If so then here is the recipe for the BEST beer i have ever brewed.

Ingredients for 5 Gallons
Step infusion mash with long beta-glucanase rest, sacharrification at around 152/3
5 lbs 2-row pale
4 lbs rye malt
1 lb flaked rye
1/2 lb crystal 60l
1/2 lb honey malt
1 lb wildflower honey (added to boil at flameout)
(I might add some rice hulls next time, sparging was very slow, but not quite stuck)

Hops
1 oz Simcoe 60 minutes
1 oz Simcoe 40 minutes
2/3 oz Cascade 20 minutes
2/3 oz Cascade 10 minutes
2/3 oz Cascade 1 minute
1/2 oz Willamette (dry hop)

I don't remember my gravity points on this one, but the ABV was around 6.5 i think.
It looks hoppier than it turned out, the sweetness from the crystal and honey malts and the rye twang really mellow out the hops.
The high percentage of rye in this makes for a ton of trub even with the b-glucan rest, so beware.

Would you consider branching out and doing something slightly out of the ordinary? If so then here is the recipe for the BEST beer i have ever brewed.

Ingredients for 5 Gallons
Step infusion mash with long beta-glucanase rest, sacharrification at around 152/3
5 lbs 2-row pale
4 lbs rye malt
1 lb flaked rye
1/2 lb crystal 60l
1/2 lb honey malt
1 lb wildflower honey (added to boil at flameout)
(I might add some rice hulls next time, sparging was very slow, but not quite stuck)

Hops
1 oz Simcoe 60 minutes
1 oz Simcoe 40 minutes
2/3 oz Cascade 20 minutes
2/3 oz Cascade 10 minutes
2/3 oz Cascade 1 minute
1/2 oz Willamette (dry hop)

I don't remember my gravity points on this one, but the ABV was around 6.5 i think.
It looks hoppier than it turned out, the sweetness from the crystal and honey malts and the rye twang really mellow out the hops.
The high percentage of rye in this makes for a ton of trub even with the b-glucan rest, so beware.

Looks like a lot of aroma hops, which I do like. What "style" of beer would you say this falls into? I'm willing to try anything, except fruit in beer. I already tried to brew a Blackberry Wheat which was horrific.

I called it RyePA, but the IBU's aren't at IPA level. Maybe it could be called an American Rogennbier?
It has much more rye than most "rye beers", so its hard to really nail down.
I used a very clean fermenting american ale yeast, but I don't remember the strain.
Modifications I've considered for this are using an estery english yeast, using more honey (Rye Braggot could be interesting), using more hops, and ageing with Rye Whisky soaked oak cubes/staves.

If you brew this let us know how it goes/what modifications you make.

Back