keg connection leak question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donner

Reaction score
***Please read my last post for an update***

I've tried really hard not to post a 'i've got a leak' thread, but guess what, i've got a leak. I also know where the leak is. I am pretty paranoid so i decided to test my system and sure enough, i have bubbles coming out of the manifold that came with my two keg setup from keg connection. This is where the gas splits off from the main line and is divided to two kegs. The leak isn't at any of the connections, but rather is at the place where you'd connect to another manifold if you wanted to add more kegs.

I've tried many different things to fix it, but like most things i touch, it seems to only get worse. I first tried tightening it, didn't work. I then thought maybe it needs teflon tape, nope, still had a leak and couldn't tighten down as far. Tried less tape. Still leaks. No tape at all looks like a fountain in my bucket.

Anyone else had this trouble with a keg connection manifold? I've emailed them but haven't heard anything back from them. Between this and the keg that still had soda in it ("we wash each keg in hot PBW"), i'm about ready to retract my glowing reviews of them in other threads.

Thanks for the help. Also, i know the high side pressure doesn't show as well when the keg is in the fridge, it's a dumb question, but i assume it'd do the same thing in a cold garage?

I'd email them about it- include a rant on the keg as well. Yea.....

I've tried many different things to fix it, but like most things i touch, it seems to only get worse. I first tried tightening it, didn't work. I then thought maybe it needs teflon tape, nope, still had a leak and couldn't tighten down as far. Tried less tape. Still leaks. No tape at all looks like a fountain in my bucket.

Hmmmm...Are the threads stripped or cross-threaded? I can't think of another problem a little telfon tape wouldn't fix.

Anyone else had this trouble with a keg connection manifold? I've emailed them but haven't heard anything back from them. Between this and the keg that still had soda in it ("we wash each keg in hot PBW"), i'm about ready to retract my glowing reviews of them in other threads.

Have you tried calling them or emailing Todd directly at [email protected]? In fact, the last time I spoke with him, he mentioned something about being on vacation this week.

And, ya, sounds like you got a dirty keg instead of a clean keg. Mistakes happen, but it's nothing a little patience and some oxyclean can't solve in an hour. ;)

Besides, I rewashed the kegs I bought from him anyway. After completely disassembling them to replace the o-rings, you might as well give 'em a quick oxyclean bath just to be sure they're as clean as they can be.

Yeah, i emailed Todd yesterday when i realized a few of the problems. I got an auto response saying he was out of town. I've since emailed customer service, but have yet to hear anything back.

The only thing i noticed about the manifold is that the metal around the hole seems raised a bit. I wonder if there wasn't a machining issue that cause the metal to come up a bit and is keeping the nut from seating properly. Again, i had that thing tightened down with 5 layers of tape and still a leak.

I know mistakes happen, but their website says two things that they didn't live up to on my order. They said their manifolds are checked for leaks and they said their kegs come cleaned. I know these things happen and they really don't bother me, but one mistake is forgivable, two starts to push my limit when dealing with a company that doesn't have any credit built up with me.

I'm hoping to talk to Todd because this wasn't the only issue. The keg being dirty didn't bother me because it was a good lesson in cleaning and disassembling a keg. The only real problem i had was when i went to remove one of the poppet valves the damn thing came out in two parts. The base came off the post, causing the spring to come off. I'm only slightly ticked because i suspect even a routine cleaning would have revealed this.

An Update. Despite having just got back from vacation this morning, Todd gave me his cell phone number and asked me to give him a call. He actually didn't know about the manifold problem yet, and just wanted to discuss why one of the kegs i received seemed dirty. They have a new guy cleaning kegs and sometimes forgets to depress the dip tube post to break the vacuum. Anyway, as soon as i mentioned the manifold Todd apologized and offered to replace the manifold immediately. He said that they always test for leaks and has no idea how it could have gotten through with a leak and acted kinda embarrassed about the mistake.

Todd definitely went above and beyond what he had to do to make my order right and to make me feel better about it. I had heard they had good customer service, but this really did make you wish every company you dealt with treated you this good. I wouldn't hesitate to go back and do more business with kegconnection.com

I'm having very similar issues with a 2 keg system I received from them this past week. I went with the double body regulator, but I have a leak around the low-pressure gauge post on the regulator body closest to the tank. Also, both kegs were sticky inside and smell of soda.

I have emailed them twice, but haven't had the same results in getting a response as you Donner. No response as yet after emailing several contact addresses.

Even if they fix this, I won't purchase from them again. If I wanted faulty equipment and to be ignored by customer service I could buy anywhere else. I'm normally not complaintive or negative, but this whole purchase has been extremely disappointing.

i felt the same way until i talked to todd. I had originally emailed him, but his auto reply said he'd be gone until today and to email customer service. I did that and didn't have any luck. WHen he got back he responded directly to my first email. It sounds like things are busy. I'd drop him a not directly at tburns (at) kegconnection.com. He really seemed to both care and want to make it right.

Yeah, i was mad at first, but i know these things happen and the fact that he went 'the extra mile' to make it right sets his company apart. At least that is how i feel. He never once gave me a 'tough luck' kinda answer, which i've gotten a number of other times from other places.

I'd suggest holding back judgment until you talk to him.

Reference the "Soda" smell in the kegs:

"These soda kegs have been cleaned with a caustic soda rinse. Caustic cleaner does have a sweet smell to it - similar to sprite or 7-UP." From a different home brew supplier.

If they are using "Caustic Soda", it will smell sweet.........

Not sure what Keg Connections uses.

Reference the "Soda" smell in the kegs:

"These soda kegs have been cleaned with a caustic soda rinse. Caustic cleaner does have a sweet smell to it - similar to sprite or 7-UP." From a different home brew supplier.

If they are using "Caustic Soda", it will smell sweet.........

Not sure what Keg Connections uses.

The liquid leftover in the kegs I received was dark and syrup like, with a strong cola smell. One of the keg lids was sticky and had some form of mold on it. :mad: If it had any kind of sweet smelling cleaner used in it, then it certainly wasn't a very effective one. As soon as I saw that I immediately broke down both kegs for a hot oxy-clean bath and thorough sanitizing.

I finally spoke to Todd. He is sending me some cleaner to replace what I had to use to clean the kegs, and some teflon tape to use on the threads where the gauge is leaking on the regulator. That's about the minimum they could do, so that's what they're doing. :rolleyes:

On their keg kits, they advertise: (1) clean kegs, (2) tested regulators, (3) pre-assembled hoses/fittings. What I actually received: (1) dirty kegs, (2) leaking regulator (3) hoses/fittings assembled but only finger-tight.

I'll not bother them with my business in the future. My experience with them is exactly contrary to all the reviews I've read about them - such a shame.

Latest posts

Back