Storing and Aging in corney kegs (not carbing)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Opherman47

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed an imperial stout that i usually bottle and age for 8 months, however this time i kegged it (lazy!!!!!) i purged the head space of the keg with CO2 by pulling the release valve for a few seconds with the pressure set at 30 psi.... i would wait a few seconds and then pull it again, then i left it on 30 psi for 1 minute, can i now just put that keg in my closet and age it for 8 months or do i need to keep hooking it up to pressure every week or so.... my plan is to age it then put it in the keggerator for a week to carb it up and then serve it? is there something wrong with this plan that i have already started to execute? am i considering everything? cant wait to see what the hbt members have to say

I brewed an imperial stout that i usually bottle and age for 8 months, however this time i kegged it (lazy!!!!!) i purged the head space of the keg with CO2 by pulling the release valve for a few seconds with the pressure set at 30 psi.... i would wait a few seconds and then pull it again, then i left it on 30 psi for 1 minute, can i now just put that keg in my closet and age it for 8 months or do i need to keep hooking it up to pressure every week or so.... my plan is to age it then put it in the keggerator for a week to carb it up and then serve it? is there something wrong with this plan that i have already started to execute? am i considering everything? cant wait to see what the hbt members have to say

It sounds just fine to me!

The main concern with this is that the liquid will absorb some of the gas and will almost eliminate the pressure in the keg.

I always check daily for a week to ensure that there is positive pressure in the keg. Some loss of pressure is due to the liquid absorbing the gas, and NOT necessarily due to a leak.

IMO...You can't do better than a Keg for bulk ageing. There is 0% chance for light exposure...and if you've purged the air...there is also 0% chance of oxidation.

Call me in 8 months and I will drive over and help you break it in!

:mug:

I pressurize mine about every day; after a few days it barely takes any CO2. I do this just to insure there are NO leaks for oxidation to occur, and as BigKahuna stated, the beer will absorb some CO2 (luckily I have spare CO2 tanks and extra reg : ).

Can't wait to cold crash and carb my lager- I've been aging this one for a month almost, and intend to wait till at least Xmas time, if not longer (I can get impatient). Hope your stout turns out well!

I did 2 5 gallon batches of this stout, one for me and one for my buddy, my buddy couldn't wait and tapped his, tastes wonderful...... yummy the keg aging is good stuff

Back