Priming Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett3rThanU

Reaction score
How much of a difference in flavor and such does the sugar you use for priming effect the flavor of the beer? I've got a British Best Bitter in the secondary right now and come bottle time the recipe calls for 1/2 cup of brown sugar. Despite the recipe calling for brown sugar, my LHBS provided corn sugar for priming, so should I use the corn sugar or brown sugar? How much different will the flavor be?

Using brown sugar will give it a somewhat mollases like taste after the sugar is consumed...It would be nice with a brown ale....Several craft brew pumpkin ales bottle with brown sugar...and it has a nice taste....I used it on my Pumpkin Porter last year...

You can always save your priming sugar for another batch if you want to stick to the original recipe, or you can prime half with priming sugar and half with brown.

Priming sugar on the other hand will be neutral, you won't notice anything...

Latest posts

Back