Walk in Under Stairs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehost

Reaction score
This Is my first Post, but I have been studying this forum for some time and after reading about walkin coolers I knew I had to design and build one, The 1st Problem was where. I needed it out by my bar but had no usable space. My main thought was to have four or five taps through the wall and be able to store bottles and wine. Behind my bar in a closet was a heating system That wouldn't work. The only other area was the very back of the basement, but how would I run beer lines up to the bar some 25' and keep them cold. So I decided to put it under the stairs. I knew I couldn't use a traditional Window a/c unit because the stair well was right in the middle of the room so I knew I would have to buy a commercial evaporator and compressor. I went to my local refridgeration Co. they advised me on what to buy. The main problem was where to put the evaporator Since the ceiling is at a 45 degree angle. For the most part the fans are made to blow out and mount on a vertical wall. Since the space under the stairs is small to begin with I couldn't give up any wall space. So I found An evaporator that Mounts on the back wall and vents at a 45 degree angle (commonly used in salad bars). The other problem was the door. How to make a door that was affordable but looked like a door
I used an exterior door and insulated the inside with some foam board and bought a custom cut refridgerator magnet and some spring hinges. Worked perfectly.

I am still in the building stages and all comments Would be appreciated
I wish I would of asked sooner but When I get Involved in a project I seldom do anything else. My wife says I need to stop reading forums. I get an idea and can't stop.

You better believe it, 5 taps to be exact. The funny thing is It took 2 months to get it up and running so in the mean time I forgot to brew Which means I have no home brew to drink. I did go out and buy two kegs to get me by.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562570658lMQfnU?vhost=good-times&start=60

The picture Shows 4 But I put in 2 more, One is used for cold water to rehydrate.

What kind of temp will the room hold? How are you controlling the temp? I'd be interested in finding out what kind of condenser you used. I have a similar closet for fermenting and storage and use a portable AC unit. It's not ideal though as I can only control the temp down to about 62*F. I can get the room colder, but then I can't control the temp well as I'm using the unit in dehumidify mode.

I am actually doing a 32 drip tray on a 12"x7' bar top With a stainless steel back splash. Hopefully Granite but I'm not sure yet

Interesting project - looks like you've used the space wisely...

I keep my thermostat in a White Labs vial full of goop from an ice pack... its worked very well. My walk-in has been up and running for over a year now and has become an integral part of our house. We keep it at 36 degrees year round.

John Beer Does the goop help keep the unit from cycling as often? Is so doesn't it have to run longer to establish the temp again?

Well its been over 1 1/2 years and still going strong. A few points.

During partys the door gets open too much and freezes over the condensation unit. So now i run the fans at full blast then turn them down after the party.
Also the door seals have started to leave quite a bit of condensation I may need to add a heater wire behind the seals.
The thermostat had allowed it to freeze over a few times need to change that out for a new one.

Everything else works great.

During partys the door gets open too much and freezes over the condensation unit.

Made me laugh and imagine the following scene:

theguest: Whoa, dude! You have beer taps coming out of the wall!

thehost: Yup. Help yourself.

theguest: Awesome! Where do you keep the kegs?

thehost: Under the stairs.

theguest: No way! Can I check it out?

Repeat for every (male) guest.

hahahah totally

Haven't been back in a while started a bunch of new projects. Let me tell you this walk in has been a absolute joy to have. There has been no noticeable difference in the electric bill and I haven't had any problems once I removed the variable speed on the evaporator seems that was slowing down the fan and causing freeze overs. I also installed the heater in the door seal and now have zero condensation.

Yep thats exactly what happens.

I keep the temperature at about 36-38 the unit doesn't cycle on often as long as the temp prob is in water. But i've never timed it Again no noticeable change in the electric bill so i'm not to worried how many times it comes on. I still need to try out that Goop stuff from a cold pack.

Latest posts

Back