PM American Red Ale (Mosaic Amarillo)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fab80

Reaction score
This is a partial mash recipe I made up for an American red that came out so good I pretty much have to post the recipe.

When I partial mash, I always start with 4 gallons of water. 1 gallon for mashing 2.5# of grains. 1 gallon for sparging. 2 gallons in my 5 gallon main kettle.

This recipe is for 5 gallons. I top off with the necessary tap water.

OG=1.056
FG=1.013
ABV=5.6%

0.5 lb Biscuit Malt
0.5 lb caramel 20
0.5 lb caramel 60
0.5 lb Munich (10L)
0.5 lb Victory

Mashed at 152 for 60 min and sparged at 170.

2 lb Light DME (60)
3 lb LIght DME (15)

0.5 Columbus AA 15.2 (60)
0.5 Mosaic AA 11.2 (10)
0.5 Amarillo AA 8.2 (10)
0.5 Mosaic (0)
0.5 Amarillo (0)

1 whirfloc tablet (15)
Us 05

This is a great brew, a session beer, yet quite complex. Mosaic and amarillo is a great combination, first time I've tried them together. I LOVE Mosaic Hops but I have to say Amarillo did a great job "smoothing" them out. The malt character is the best, and balances the hops nicely. The color is not spot on, though. I should have added that 1oz of chocolate malt. Or maybe not...

Glad it came out so well. I've been meaning to try Mosaic myself (haven't brewed with them yet), and this looks like a good base. I might up the hops a little and take it into more of an IPA territory if I do it.

Back