Coffee beers that aren't stouts/porters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNGabe

Reaction score
Ever brewed a coffee beer that wasn't a stout or a porter? I roast coffee and really enjoy African dry processed beans with tons of fruit and spice. I think it 'might' be possible to use this style of coffee with a saison or fruity hops. Anyone tried it? I've got 10 gallons of petite saison finishing up primary - I think I'll have to sacrifice a few growlers worth to the experiment.

I've made a Coffee Pale Ale, soaking ground coffee in secondary and using only bittering hops. It turned out well, good coffee flavor. I've currently got an Oatmeal Pale Ale going, and I plan on grabbing two gallons of that to experiment with coffee infusion: one gallon will steep with coffee (basically cold-brewing), other gallon will have cold-brewed coffee added to secondary.

There's a local coffee roaster in my neighborhood that'll be hooking me up with freshly roasted beans and coffee.

Have you ever tried a black saison like Goose Island's Pepe Nero? That one uses black peppercorns, but coffee beans could be a nice addition as well.

Founders makes a Brown Ale flavored with Hazelnut coffee. It's Frangelic Mountain Brown Ale, I believe. It is interesting and the flavors mesh pretty well. Kind of expensive, about 12.99 for a bomber.

I have had a commercial one somewhere in my travels... It was a rich ale with a hint of coffee... very nice.

I think iif you make one t should be a malty brew with a good mouth feel to balance out the coffee.

I have been thinking about a coffee weizenbock for a while - just have not gotten around to it yet.

I'm doing a pretty big coffee oatmeal brown ale right now. Surly Coffee Bender was my base idea and is a really good example of a coffee beer that isn't porter or stout. I also used a single origin eithiopian in mine, cause I too like the African dry blueberry/ fruit flavors. Should be great.

A local brewery near me does a coffee ipa using beans from the coffee house next door. I havent had it, but it sounds intriguing

Back