Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well if Elist10.com says it's true then it must be.
wait, so they could post things without fact checking?

my bad guys, i thought everyone fact checked. i'll try again.

https://www.osac.gov/pages/ContentReportDetails.aspx?cid=13690

i guess that would have been a more credible source. either way, violent crime is almost non existent. however, fraud, drunk driving, and pick pockets are a real problem.

this might also have to do with the fact that bar fights usually only result in a night in the drunk tank, and not considered a crime unless property or people were seriously injured.

But back on track with the thread, well sort of...

my neighbor informed me that the reason dom perignon is so expensive because of how much it costs to naturally carbonate a bottle.

:eek:

i then had to explain how that can be achieved by simply adding sugar at bottling. or bottling before completely done fermenting, although i'm not sure how dom likes to do it naturally... or if they even bother.

skitter said:
So your beer tastes like ass?

J/k man, don't know you well enough to validate that comment :p

Well actually ... :p

On a related note, my boss is always looking for IPA's and they seem to be out of season (draft wise) at most of the places we eat in Raleigh. He asked me if I had any suggestions - I replied that the bottle of hopsecutioner could work, but I wasn't sure if it was hoppy. The look he gave me was priceless.

But back on track with the thread, well sort of...

my neighbor informed me that the reason dom perignon is so expensive because of how much it costs to naturally carbonate a bottle.

:eek:

i then had to explain how that can be achieved by simply adding sugar at bottling. or bottling before completely done fermenting, although i'm not sure how dom likes to do it naturally... or if they even bother.

Well actually. ......
Method de champagne is a little trickier and probably costs me theoretical dollars by way of having someone who knows what the f they are doing

Well actually. ......
Method de champagne is a little trickier and probably costs me theoretical dollars by way of having someone who knows what the f they are doing

But is not most actual Champagne produced that way - if it is not then they Champagne a-holes won't let them call it that. I would guess the high end stuff might still be hand riddled instead of mechnically - that would increase the cost :D

But is not most actual Champagne produced that way - if it is not then they Champagne a-holes won't let them call it that. I would guess the high end stuff might still be hand riddled instead of mechnically - that would increase the cost :D

I wonder too. Maybe the law also requires that the priming sugar be applies by virgins. I hear French virgins are hard to find. Well, ones old enough to read directions, anyway.

But seriously, is it really more complicated than the wiki article? "Méthode Champenoise is the traditional method by which Champagne is produced. After primary fermentation and bottling, a second alcoholic fermentation occurs in the bottle. This second fermentation is induced by adding several grams of yeast (usually Saccharomyces cerevisiae, although each brand has its own secret recipe) and several grams of rock sugar."

Sounds like adding beer yeast and bottle priming to me...

I wonder too. Maybe the law also requires that the priming sugar be applies by virgins. I hear French virgins are hard to find. Well, ones old enough to read directions, anyway.

But seriously, is it really more complicated than the wiki article? "Méthode Champenoise is the traditional method by which Champagne is produced. After primary fermentation and bottling, a second alcoholic fermentation occurs in the bottle. This second fermentation is induced by adding several grams of yeast (usually Saccharomyces cerevisiae, although each brand has its own secret recipe) and several grams of rock sugar."

Sounds like adding beer yeast and bottle priming to me...

+1

my understanding as well.

on the virgins, not the champagne, i'd like to think that the $200 bottles are carbonated by magic faeries only found in the champagne region of france, using faerie dust and tiny diamonds. The extra money ensures that a homebrewer could definitely not make this at home with things like yeast and rock sugar, cause we don't know what we are doing.

+1

my understanding as well.

on the virgins, not the champagne, i'd like to think that the $200 bottles are carbonated by magic faeries only found in the champagne region of france, using faerie dust and tiny diamonds. The extra money ensures that a homebrewer could definitely not make this at home with things like yeast and rock sugar, cause we don't know what we are doing.

Carbonation via Magic French Faerie Farts! Very high toned!

Nah - the bottles are mini conicals - just pull the mini lever, dump the trub, and you're good to go!

This is actually closer than you might think! Except for the lever part. My understanding is that after gradually rotating the bottles to coax the yeast into the neck, the necks are frozen (not sure how that works) and then the bottles are uncapped, at which point pressure shoots out the yeast ice pellet. Pretty impressive if you ask me! although I don't necessarily see how it's better than just vat carbonating before bottling.

This is actually closer than you might think! Except for the lever part. My understanding is that after gradually rotating the bottles to coax the yeast into the neck, the necks are frozen (not sure how that works) and then the bottles are uncapped, at which point pressure shoots out the yeast ice pellet. Pretty impressive if you ask me! although I don't necessarily see how it's better than just vat carbonating before bottling.

I was reading an issue Beer Magazine or Zymurgy or something many months ago that was talking about making champagne beers and that's exactly what they did. It was a long process of them standing the bottles upside down and then exactly what you said about the yeast plugs and then corking them.

For the high price vintage stuff they keep it on the lees for an extended period of time - I think one source said minimum 3 years but some go to about 8+. Imagine then number of stainless vats you would need to cellar :D

All "real" champage (from Champagne, France) must be made by the traditional method. That usually involves a lot of time cellaring on the lees, which is a very significant flavor factor.

Other sparkling wines can be made that way, by the Charmat method (natural carbonation in tank), or by forced carbonation.

If you don't use the traditional method and a wine made from a mix of grapes typical of the Champagne region, your sparkling wine isn't really much like champagne at all. Which is fine -- Prosecco and Cava are great sparkling wines that are typically made by the Charmat method, and they're both inexpensive and delicious (just not champagne).

Me: Is it possible to just buy a single tasting glass?
Server: Well we offer 4oz tasting flights of all out beers on draft.

When the "4"oz tasting flight arrived all the glasses were 8oz's.

Per the lager (yuengling) discussion earlier in this thread... Southeastern PA tonight at my local pub

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1387682837.907215.jpg

How's that for a mix

It's common for people to add salt and lime to Mexican beers....

Corona isn't another Chimay. But I've had worse thirst quenchers on a hot afternoon (Coors Light, anyone?)... and I've used it to wash down a lot of spicy foods over the years.

It's common for people to add salt and lime to Mexican beers....

Corona isn't another Chimay. But I've had worse thirst quenchers on a hot afternoon (Coors Light, anyone?)... and I've used it to wash down a lot of spicy foods over the years.

It makes sense. Water is very refreshing. :D

Read this recently Coors' old "Turn it Loose" campaign when translated into Spanish was worded in such a way that it meant "Suffer from Diarrhea."

Now that is truth in advertising.

It makes sense. Water is very refreshing. :D

Do I detect a wee bit of an attitude?:)

I like good premium beers, craft beers and homebrews. I also like prime rib and rib-eye steaks. But I eat my share of cheap hamburgers, and enjoy them too...

When someone hands me a Bud or a Corona I enjoy it, instead of just suffering through it. I look at beer the same way I look at sex: there's no such thing as a bad piece of tail. There's only good, better, and OMG! :cross:

Same with beer... Of course there are exceptions to every rule, so don't get me started on Jamaican Red Stripe. Hey... everyone needs something to get uppity about....:D

I only eat/drink what tastes good to me. Just because it's beer doesn't mean it's good, or even drinkable. I've turned down many free BMCs for soda or water or nothing.

I only eat/drink what tastes good to me. Just because it's beer doesn't mean it's good, or even drinkable. I've turned down many free BMCs for soda or water or nothing.
Just because you don't like it doesn't nobody else does, either. I -- like MANY OTHERS on this site -- love a good craft beer, but I don't turn down a cold Bud Light, either.

I really wish people would descend from their elevated equines on this one. All it does is make you look like pretentious snobs. Have we learned nothing from the wine crowd?

Just because you don't like it doesn't nobody else does, either. I -- like MANY OTHERS on this site -- love a good craft beer, but I don't turn down a cold Bud Light, either.

I really wish people would descend from their elevated equines on this one. All it does is make you look like pretentious snobs. Have we learned nothing from the wine crowd?

I agree. I still regularly buy keystone light because my wife likes it and I enjoy cheap beer as the night winds down so I don't waste home brew that seems like lately I haven't had the time to brew. When I was on active duty traveling a lot a senior guy once told me:
Don't ever turn down sleep because you don't know when will be the next time to rest.
Don't ever turn down food because you don't know when you will be able to eat again. And.
Don't ever turn down a beer because it may be you last.
I still live my life to this code! Cheers Chopps.

I agree. I still regularly buy keystone light because my wife likes it and I enjoy cheap beer as the night winds down so I don't waste home brew that seems like lately I haven't had the time to brew. When I was on active duty traveling a lot a senior guy once told me:
Don't ever turn down sleep because you don't know when will be the next time to rest.
Don't ever turn down food because you don't know when you will be able to eat again. And.
Don't ever turn down a beer because it may be you last.
I still live my life to this code! Cheers Chopps.

Would you really want the last beer you ever had to be a BMC tho? :D

xpertskir said:
well, i just thought of this and i'll share for the laughs. Many years and beers ago, i could have been overheard saying: "it's called a tripel because it's fermented 3 times, a dubbel is fermented twice"
+1

Back