American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks wmubronco.

If you stick to the OP in regards to timing for primary fermentation and then maybe 7-10 days of dry hopping, the beer should come out just fine.

This 2nd ZDC was under my 2nd beer of fermentation temp control using BrewPi. The basement was cold enough as to I didn't have to keep the fermenter in the keezer, and I had one of those carboy heaters (gridlines sheet wrap plugin) around it.

My first batch received great reviews from friends/family, so the only thing I would change would most likely be the amount of hops used. Both were dry hopped with about 3 ounces of Citra pellet hops, but like I said in original reply, I believe it all had to do with the amount during the boil and how old the hops were.

later is month I will be making this for the 4th time. after that my next crack at it is to push it into a DIPA. Here is what I'am thinking

Boil Size: 5.70 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.20 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.080 SG
Estimated Color: 9.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 109.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 0.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1 lbs Munich - Light 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 1 8.7 %
8.0 oz CaraFoam (1.8 SRM) Grain 2 4.3 %
8.0 oz Caramel / Crystal 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.3 %
8.0 oz Melanoidin (25.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.3 %
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - First Wort 20.0 min Hop 5 11.5 IBUs
7 lbs Dry Malt Extract - Extra Light (2.5 SRM) Dry Extract 6 60.9 %
2 lbs Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 7 17.4 %
1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 38.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 9 14.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [11.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 10 17.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [11.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 11 12.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [11.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 12 6.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [11.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 13 1.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 Hop 14 6.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [11.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) [124. Yeast 16 -
4.00 oz Citra [11.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 17 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Da Hop 18 0.0 IBUs

Dry hopped this the other day... my whole house smells like Citra.

I'm loving it, wife was taken aback a bit, but it's fading now, lol.

Brewed this today. It's currently in the fermentation chamber. I do BIAB, but I underestimated water volume somewhere and only got 5 gallons into the fermenter. OG 1.078. Guess it's gonna be a little strong ;) One question, I pitched the yeast at around 78. I put it right in the fermetation chamber and will ferment at 62. I couldn't get it any lower with my wort chiller. Is this going to cause any issues??

Brewed this today. It's currently in the fermentation chamber. I do BIAB, but I underestimated water volume somewhere and only got 5 gallons into the fermentor. OG t.078. Guess it's gonna be a little strong ;) One question, I pitched the yeast at around 78. I put it right in the fermetation chamber and will ferment at 62. I couldn't get it any lower with my wort chiller. Is this going to cause any issues??
Which yeast and how good is you fermentation chamber at dropping the temp?

Walp... mine ended @ 1.012 down from 1.068. Still dialing in my system, but seems my extremely fine crush for BIAB is still causing brews to attenuate further than expected. I may need to start mashing a few degrees higher than stated on these recipes.

Keg sample tastes delicious though. Little curious about the color however, followed the AG recipe to the T... some of these in here look darker. Pics in the first post of the OP's brew would be nice.

0405051912.jpg

Can you repeat the time schedule for primary fermentation, secondary and dry hop along with aging after that?
thx

Last edited:
There is no one correct answer to that. Many options will work.

For my pales and IPAs, my general timeline is primary for 10-21 days, dry hop for last 4-7 days, then keg. If I'm doing double dry hop, I add the hops in the keg for 3-5 days with the keg sealed, but sitting at room temp. Then I chill and carbonate for 5-7 days before pulling the first pint. If not double dry hopping, straight in the fridge to chill and carbonate then drink.

I'm assuming though, that your beer should be done fermenting in the primary before you rack to secondary.... Right? or Wrong?

Most people wouldn't secondary this beer. They would dry hop in the primary (that's what I was implying above). But yes, it should be done fermenting before you transfer it to secondary or before packaging.

Most people wouldn't secondary this beer. They would dry hop in the primary (that's what I was implying above). But yes, it should be done fermenting before you transfer it to secondary or before packaging.

Roger that. I am using a 5g secondary carboy to free up my 6g primary carboy. Necessity. Otherwise, I'm on the same page.

My batch is chugging along in the fermentor. Down to 1.012 from 1.078 after 3 days (I'm still figuring things out, I was clearly a little short in the water department, while my efficiency went up a bit from my last brew). Looks and smells great, I guess it's just gonna be close to 9% abv ;)

Mine is 2 days from first pull... the suspense is killing me, especially since the keg sample tasted so great to begin with.

There is no one correct answer to that. Many options will work.

For my pales and IPAs, my general timeline is primary for 10-21 days, dry hop for last 4-7 days, then keg. If I'm doing double dry hop, I add the hops in the keg for 3-5 days with the keg sealed, but sitting at room temp. Then I chill and carbonate for 5-7 days before pulling the first pint. If not double dry hopping, straight in the fridge to chill and carbonate then drink.

I was planning to dry hop in the secondary, any reason of why not?

Easier to just throw them in primary... why make an extra step for yourself?

Well for starters to get a more clear and smooth brew, but mainly in this case specifically, I am using a plastic bucket for the primary and if I am going to open it to introduce hops there will be extra oxygen in that head space, so transferring to a glass carboy will eliminate that. I understand that I will be introducing oxygen as I siphon it but if I do it right it will be less than the one that would stay in the plastic bucket.

Well for starters to get a more clear and smooth brew,

I won't get into it too much here, but you can search and find thousands of threads of transferring to secondary vs. dry hopping in primary.

I'm sure you read some old literature that told you this is the case, but it's not in my (and many other's) experience.

but mainly in this case specifically, I am using a plastic bucket for the primary and if I am going to open it to introduce hops there will be extra oxygen in that head space, so transferring to a glass carboy will eliminate that. I understand that I will be introducing oxygen as I siphon it but if I do it right it will be less than the one that would stay in the plastic bucket.

Again, not really an issue. We're talking a short period of time being exposed to air when you open it to drop the hops in. I dry hop in a 7.5 gal carboy (primary) for 5.5 gallons, and it works just fine, every time.

I cold crash in the keg and fine with gelatin... that plus decent racking ability and you'll produce just as clear and "smooth" beer (though I've never heard of transferring to secondary as producing "smoother beer" whatever that may mean? Mouthfeel? Taste?)

Either way, read up on it, do what suits you... it's your brew. :mug:

I won't get into it too much here, but you can search and find thousands of threads of transferring to secondary vs. dry hopping in primary.

I'm sure you read some old literature that told you this is the case, but it's not in my (and many other's) experience.

Again, not really an issue. We're talking a short period of time being exposed to air when you open it to drop the hops in. I dry hop in a 7.5 gal carboy (primary) for 5.5 gallons, and it works just fine, every time.

I cold crash in the keg and fine with gelatin... that plus decent racking ability and you'll produce just as clear and "smooth" beer (though I've never heard of transferring to secondary as producing "smoother beer" whatever that may mean? Mouthfeel? Taste?)

Either way, read up on it, do what suits you... it's your brew. :mug:

Cheers men :mug:
What I meant by smoother is on regards of taste, I have read that yeast if it sits for a long period of time can munch on themselves and create some off flavours, maybe this is not the case. I will definitely read more on this. Great advice.
In any case fermenting has started and the smell that comes out is superb!
Looking forward to this one

Cheers men :mug:
What I meant by smoother is on regards of taste, I have read that yeast if it sits for a long period of time can munch on themselves and create some off flavours, maybe this is not the case. I will definitely read more on this. Great advice.
In any case fermenting has started and the smell that comes out is superb!
Looking forward to this one

Yeah, long periods of time being a few to several months, depending on the beer. You'll be all good.

The amount of oxygen you introduce when adding dry hops to primary will most likely be much more minimal than what would be introduced siphoning to another vessel.

brewed this up today, only ended up with a 1.059 wort, but higher volume... low boil off, I'll need to adjust my calculations/ get better at judging a good rolling boil...

Anyway, it's in the fermenter with two packets of S04, can't wait to give this one a go in a few weeks time :D
Thanks to the OP for the recipe :rockin:

Same here seehuusen... I will be installing a sight glass on my hlt and boil kettle just so I can better manage my volumes. Brewing on a new system was just another excuse/reason for me.

I've done this extract 3 times, Next week I plan on doing it again but would like to try partial mash. Can I sub out some of the DME and add pale 2 row?

I love this beer. I will be brewing a 10 gallon batch this weekend. Second time I've done this recipe.

Me and my uncle each brewed a 5 gallon batch together. LHBS only had enough citra for one. We subbed galaxy for the citra for his batch. We are calling it zombie stardust.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Brewing this on Saturday, can't wait

ZOMBIE STARDUST

Just brewed this for the 4th time. This time was my first partial mash. 5.5lbs of 2 row plus the specialty grains and about 3lbs of DME. OG was a little high at 1.073. Fermentation is rocking.

After 10 day 3 oz dryhop going to toss another 1oz in the keg

Gonna see about brewing this in a couple of weeks. Got some Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale I'm dying to test, heard it plays real nice with Citra.

Will probably throw in a hefty whirlpool as well.

Did this with half MO, half pale for my base and use BRY 97. Fantastic. Also used clarity ferm, trying to reduce my gluten intake

So i brewed this about 3 weeks ago and left it in primary for 9 days then in secondary with the hops for another 7 days. Then added gelatin and moved to a keg to be cleared and carbonated.

This beer is fantastic! I will be making it countless more times in the future! I made the 5 gallon batch but in the future I will definitely do the 6 gallon size since my keg looked to be almost a 1/2 to 1 gallon low.

Here is a quick shot of it after two days of co2.
https://imgur.com/EkfrQIB

Drank a bottle of my first attempt last night. Very tasty, but needs more time (only 1.5 weeks in the bottle). Question, the beer was clearer when I bottled it that it was drinking it last time. Will more time help?

Drank a bottle of my first attempt last night. Very tasty, but needs more time (only 1.5 weeks in the bottle). Question, the beer was clearer when I bottled it that it was drinking it last time. Will more time help?
Thats understandable since you bottle primed it, so that generated a tiny fermentation in the bottle and made more yeast. It'll take a number of weeks to fully clear, and youll need to leave the yeast sediment at the bottom when pouring. Flavorwise, they should be ready sooner

I did another variation of this a few weeks ago. Kept the same grain bill, fermented 100% with Brett Brux Trois, then used the following for hops:
20min: .75oz Citra, .75oz Mosaic
10min: .75oz Citra, .75oz Mosaic
5min: 1oz Citra, 1oz Mosaic
0min: 1.5oz Citra, 1.5oz Mosaic
Dry Hop #1: 1.5oz Citra, 1.5oz Mosaic
Dry Hop #2: 1oz Citra, 1oz Mosaic

I'm on the 2nd dry hop right now. Taste and aroma are great.

I had a small gripe with this recipe, it only lasted like, 2 weeks in the keg... if that.

Not sure why it was gone so fast, but I'd warn people about that issue going into it.

:D

How many liters of Yeast Starter are you guys using for this recipe? Using the 5g extract batch size, Mr Malty is saying 3.5L. This will be my first starter, but I've yet to see anyone talking about making a 3.5L starter...

I'll be doing a simple starter, I don't have a stir plate.

I'm using 1968.

Recommendations?

How many liters of Yeast Starter are you guys using for this recipe? Using the 5g extract batch size, Mr Malty is saying 3.5L. This will be my first starter, but I've yet to see anyone talking about making a 3.5L starter...

I'll be doing a simple starter, I don't have a stir plate.

I'm using 1968.

Recommendations?

3.5L sounds about right for a simple starter and 1 vial. My recommendation: make a stirplate! They can easily be made with stuff from old computers and cell phone chargers. Check out this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=228400. TONS of ideas in there. Best of luck!

Back