Steeping Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerT

Reaction score
I ordered NB's Double IPA kit. Part of the massive hopping schedule calls for 2oz of Northern Brewer Leaf Hops to be steeped at the end of the boil.

How long do I steep them for? Should I keep in a set amount of time? Should I just turn on my immersion chiller as normal and steep them the time it takes to cool down to pitching temps?

THis is my first time steeping, and NB's directions are the generic kit instructions and menton no details on the steep.

-Todd

I ussually add hops no later than 2 min before flameout. There are those who add them at flameout too, but adding them early helps me relax and not worry. They stay in the kettle as it chills in an ice bath with an immersion chiller.

I dont think that you want the aroma hops to be in the hot wort for an extended period of time. Less than five min fr sure.

- magno

Steeping hops should be added at flameout. They should be left in until the wort is cooled and is racked/strained to the fermenter.

Once again...the board comes through. This will be my first brew in a few months....can't wait.

-Todd

Back