How do you deal with plugged Fermenator issues?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PintOfBitter

Reaction score
Those of you with conicals, specifically Blichmann, do you have issues with the dump port plugging with break material and/or yeast sediment? How do you deal with this?

I have the NPT version of the 14 gallon Fermentator, and have been able to pressurize the fermenter to get the cack flowing out, but sometimes it won't budge at all. At least I can still rack clear beer from the side port easily.

I have a minibrew 15 gallon conical and the only times I had the 1" dump clog is when making my DFH 120 clone or other beers that take a huge amount of yeast and need extra time on the cake to ferment. And when it does clog I just sanitize a whisk and use shove the handle up the valve to clear it. If your fast this works but if your slow bad things can happen!

But this can be avoided in most cases by simply opening the valve for a split second towards the end of fermentation. Usually once the krausen starts to drop I will dump just a few ounces out the bottom and do the same about 2 days later. It helps get the trub junk off the bottom which seems to compact more than just the yeast cake. I simply spray the dump with sanitizer before and after and haven’t had any issues doing this myself.

Back