first brew foamy pitch and fermenting temp vari

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hd4wes

Reaction score
LME w/specialty grains and dry yeast.
I aerated wort between buckets, and then topped off with 2 gal tap water from the sprayer. Got a massive head of foam all the way to the top of the bucket. I didn't want to wait to long before pitching so I tried to stir down the foam. Not much luck. So, I pitched the yeast right on the foam without hydrating, and gently stirred it in the wort. Is that normal or a problem?

Next, the pitching temp was 67. Check it the next morning, and temp is down to 64 with no bubbles. I moved to a 70 degree location. Now I got bubbles. Happy. Next morning, now it's up to 73:( Should I move it to a cooler location. What temp should I try to get it to after these variations in temp.

Hind sight is 20/20. I now know I should of left it at 64 degrees.
Thanks

I've often pitched yeast right into the foam without any problems... I've also pitched yeast onto a foam free wort and had massive blow-off. So, I don't see any problem with what you did. Also, temperature wise, YES, move it to the cooler location if the optimum temperature range for your yeast is cooler, which it most likely is. Active fermentation generates its own heat. An actively fermenting wort will usually be at least 5-10 degrees warmer than ambient air temperature.

Back