Beginner observation about PET bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duncan36

Reaction score
I am a beginner and this is my second extract brew. I used all plastic bottles the first brew. This brew I used about half plastic bottles and half 12oz brown glass bottles and a capper.
I believed the conventional wisdom that theres not much of a difference between beer in glass bottles and beer in PET bottles.
But thats not my opinion now at all. The beer in the glass bottles had a much better head, the beer itself had more complex flavors, more body.
The beer in the PET bottles tasted much thinner, had a weaker head, and generally was inferior in every way to the beer in the glass bottles.
Both glass and PET bottles had beer in them previously and were sanitised using Star San.

I'm going all glass after this the difference in quality is huge.

I am a beginner and this is my second extract brew. I used all plastic bottles the first brew. This brew I used about half plastic bottles and half 12oz brown glass bottles and a capper.
I believed the conventional wisdom that theres not much of a difference between beer in glass bottles and beer in PET bottles.
But thats not my opinion now at all. The beer in the glass bottles had a much better head, the beer itself had more complex flavors, more body.
The beer in the PET bottles tasted much thinner, had a weaker head, and generally was inferior in every way to the beer in the glass bottles.
Both glass and PET bottles had beer in them previously and were sanitised using Star San.

Interesting. Slightly OT but I read years ago that Coke had dismissed the claim that their liquid tasted any differently whether in a can or a bottle or a cup (PET was not reviewed at this time since it was not widely used). I think they said it was psychological or something. I know most folks swear by the bottles though, hence them recently re-appearing in the market.

Having not tried it I'd be convinced there would be some sort of difference though. If Coke tastes better in a bottle why not beer?

Did you condition them in a dark place BTW?

I've also noticed that when a batch is split between glass and bottles, all other things being equal, that the carbonation is always a little flatter in the PET bottles.

Now I try to use mostly glass bottles, but always bottle one or two in a PET so I can squeeze it to see how the carbonation is moving along!

Plus it's much more satisfying to open a standard glass bottle than a twist off PET.

0T, but the coke in glass bottles tastes better because its made with real sugar instead of corn syrup.

0T, but the coke in glass bottles tastes better because its made with real sugar instead of corn syrup.

Unless it's changed in the last year or so it is in Mexico but it's still HFCS here in the States. Coke USA sued Coke SA because their product was selling in US border towns for almost 50% more and they couldn't keep em in stock. Apparently it was a violation of their agreement.

Typical conglomerate...force the consumers to drink what the stockholders want not what the consumer wants.

Unless it's changed in the last year or so it is in Mexico but it's still HFCS here in the States.

I think this is true, BUT during passover you can get Coke with real sugar (in 2l bottles). Look for the bottles with the yellow cap.

I have heard, but i haven't look yet, that you can find coke made with sugar in the ethnic department at the grocery store.

Maybe were just lucky, but here in Austin a Mexican Coke is pretty easy to come by. We also have Dublin Dr Pepper (from the original plant in Dublin, TX) which is the same deal.

Unless it's changed in the last year or so it is in Mexico but it's still HFCS here in the States. Coke USA sued Coke SA because their product was selling in US border towns for almost 50% more and they couldn't keep em in stock. Apparently it was a violation of their agreement.

Which Coke are you talking about? The bottling company or the one that sells the syrup?

Which Coke are you talking about? The bottling company or the one that sells the syrup?

I don't believe it said. The US company was preparing to sue the South American arm to force it to control its distribution since Coke US was loosing market share in border towns. The article was in the WSJ or Fast Company, I think. They didn't mention anything about syrup....just the bootlegged bottles coming over the border.

I figured the parent company would be grateful about it...you know, learn a cheap lesson and give consumers what they want. Instead they threatened all sorts of legal action.

Gotta love corporate America...shove s--t down peoples throats and buy out the competition. BMC style...

I figured the parent company would be grateful about it...you know, learn a cheap lesson and give consumers what they want. Instead they threatened all sorts of legal action.

Well, it's a lot cheaper for them to use HFCS because of the way our government subsidizes corn. That's a discussion for another thread though, I think.

Here's my take on why beer tastes better in the glass than the PET:

My contention is that the strength of the container used to condition the beer has a lot to do with the end result. The PET bottles will "give", in other words they will expand at the sides somewhat just the tiniest amount however imperceptible it may to us, but they do, as compared to glass which is thicker and will not.

thereby the carbonation taking place in the PET goes UP to the neck more so than the beer itself when you crack it it open, as opposed to most of it in the glass getting forced INTO the beer itself adding body etc.

Just my 2 scientific two cents.

Let me ask you one question: When you did your taste test, did you know which beer came from the glass bottle and which came from the plastic bottle?

unless you did a triangle test there is no way to rule out placebo effects.

Two of one type and one of the other. Great way to do side by sides.

Is it not more likely that your second batch of beer was simply an improvement over your first??

Was everything else besides the bottles exactly the same? Recipe, procedures, fermentation time/temperature, bottle conditioning, etc etc??

Back