Just a little patience...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mingus

Reaction score
For the newbies like myself...

The more I read on here, the more I see "give it a little time" or "be patient" - from the experienced HBers to the new HBers like myself and others.

I am starting to think that "time" (and patience) may be one of the most important ingredients in all of this... and also the obvious enjoyment of a homebrewed cold one!!!

CHEERS/Slainte,
N8

PS- Don't hesitate to ask questions... these experienecd Hbers answer - and they answer pretty quick.

I can't argue with that :)

New brewers are quite anxious to make sure they have done things properly and most importantly, to taste the malts of their labors. The waiting to taste stage seems to be the most difficult. I'm still guilty of that one myself in a lot of cases. I have a beer that I bottled 3 weeks ago that I really want to taste this weekend, but I'm going to let it sit for a fourth week before I crack open a bottle. I bottled a Marzen back on February 8th that I haven't really dug into yet either. I have sampled it twice, but it's still conditioning and improving with time.

In my previous experiences, I'm sure I finished off a 5-gallon batch of beer more than once before it peaked. Hopefully I'm mature enough now to let it sit for a while and give it a chance to really peak before I dig in so much. I think a really good lesson is to brew more often so you always have a couple beers that are ready to go sitting around the house.

The more you brew, the easier the waiting gets. Once you learn how much better your beer is once it's matured, and you also have a bit of a pipeline going, being patient is easy.

My pipeline finally got to the point where its ahead of my drinking. Just "found" a batch of pumpkin ale I forgot about which made it age 6 weeks without me even thinking about it. Tasted beautiful. Usually I'm counting down the days to 3 weeks when I can crack the first bottle.

Back