maximiZation of the sanitiZation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanyP321

Reaction score
So I keep sanitizing things (like 80 bottles), getting interupted by something (like a woman), coming back to my bottles 24 hours later and having to start again. Is there anyway to keep things sanitized enough (like soaking in iodophor or something) to just wash them with boiling water later?

Thanks

I would suggest cleaning and sanitizing right before you bottle instead of trying to "prep".

For bottles, once i get them i usually give them an over night soak in a starsan solution to clean them and make the labels easier to get off. Then i put them back in the box. Before i use them i run them through the dishwasher (without any soap) and use the heated dry cycle. Works like a charm.

Once they've been used for homebrew all i do after pouring a beer is rinse all the yeast sediment out of the bottles with hot water and put them back in the box. They go through another dishwasher cycle before i use them again.

With a vinator I sanitize 52 bottles in the time it takes to rack from the carboy into the bottling bucket.

Including sanitizing bottling takes me about an hour including the clean up of the carboy and bucket.

(Using a dishwater sanitize cycle would triple the time it took me to bottle.)

(Like jjp I keep my bottles clean pre-bottling, so that the only thing I have to do with them on bottling day is sanitize)

Including sanitizing bottling takes me about an hour including the clean up of the carboy and bucket.

(Using a dishwater sanitize cycle would triple the time it took me to bottle.)

I'm sure the Vinator is a lot faster, but I don't have one yet and I'm lazy :eek:.
I don't really count the dishwasher cycle as bottling time since once I load the dishwasher I just forget about it, but I do need to remember throw the bottles in about 2 hours before I start bottling. Once i start I'm done in under an hour though.

On another note, where in philly are you dontman? I used to live in center city on 18th and south st, but just recently moved out to the manayunk/roxborough area.

I'm out in Lansdowne. I love both areas you mentioned. Don't get out to Manayunk ever though. Too far. I'm in your old neighborhood once or twice per week for dinner though.

Back