Reducing vinegary smell in house

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carolinea

Reaction score
I have recently become an avid kombucha brewer, and I usually have several jars brewing at once (batch brewing). My kombucha has been turning out great, but my husband is now complaining that the home office smells like vinegar. It doesn't bother me personally, but I would like to reduce the smell for his sake. It's late fall, so opening the windows on a regular basis isn't really an option. Is there something out there that would help absorb the smell? An air purifier that would reduce it? Google hasn't been very helpful, I mostly get tips on cleaning with vinegar...Thanks so much!

I've read that brewing in more open spaces spreads out the scent so that it is not so concentrated. Also I heard of people fermenting in old refrigerators, Although that seems a little extreme. I'm a little worried about this problem as well.

That certainly makes sense, although it's not really an option for us in our NYC apt. A few days after this posting, I actually ordered a (fairly) inexpensive air purifier that was highly rated for reducing food smells. Works really well, my husband asked me if I had cut my brewing down significantly, and he was very surprised to hear it was due to the air purifier.

That's good to know about.

We have a litterbox in the basement, and I made an exhaust fan from an old computer fan stuck into a length of dryer vent hose. The fan sits right above the litterbox (on the top of the lid) and runs up and out a window (replaced one pane with wood and it goes out just like a dryer vent). It's not apartment sized, but if I had to, I would rig something like that up.

Back