Bittering Hops for a Light Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
I'm going to brew up a nice, light ale next. I plan to use about 6 pounds of 2-row pale, and some light LME. I have been doing a lot of heavy brews lately, so something light will make a nice change.

I have some Hallertau 1.5% left over that I'm thinking about using for finishing, but I wonder what I should use for bittering?

Some Cascade, maybe? Or some Spaaz?

I haven't used Spaaz, but I would think Cascade would be a nice touch in that beer. I know some folks do SMaSH with cascade...

Normally I would say yes, but I think in this case it will depend on how much you end up needing. Since it is such a low AA, if you need like 4 oz, I would use something else. On one hand, most of the flavor/aroma will be gone after 60 minutes, but on the other, that is a lot of hop matter to deal with.

With what looks to be mostly (all?) basemalt you'll get a hop flavor from whatever hop you use. Maybe not as much if you went with a high AA hop but something will sneak through. If you used that 1.5% AA hop as a bittering you most likely would pickup a vegetal flavor from the large amount of hop matter you would need.

Between Cascade and Saaz, I'd go the noble route and pick the Saaz. Should blend nicely with the Hallertau as well.

I bitter my lightest ale with a 1/2 oz Chinook, do a flavoring at 30 mins with another 1/2 oz, then do aroma at 5 mins with 1oz saaz. OG averages about 1.044. Has a nice spicy flavor & aroma, with a bitterness that gets your attention but doesn't make you pucker.

Horizon is a very clean bittering hop. That's the route I would go, but Galena and Columbus would work great as well.

Picked up an ounce of Saaz, 5lbs of 2-row pale, a pound of wheat, some light LME and another pack of US-05 today.

Calculator says I will get about a 17 IBU.

Lock and load...

:mug:

Back