Force carbing question regarding PSI with gas disconnected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blk94f150

Reaction score
If I run my keg up to 30 psi and turn off the gas, but leave everything connected, the PSI indicated on the reg gauge drops slowly. It seemed to level off around 20 PSI.

I did the soap test and have no bubbles. I also put everything together in a really quiet room, got really close and heard no fizzing.

So does the pressure go down as the CO2 is absorbed by the beer? I have the gas on now, holding 30 PSI on the keg. I just don't want to be wasting gas, but can't see how I could be.

Mike

Yes, that's the C02 dissolving into your beer. If you want to see it happen even quicker, turn off the gas, but leave the line attached, then pick up your keg and rock it back and forth, you will lose 10 PSI almost immediately if the beer is good and cold.

It's just equalization. Regulators aren't perfect. You can easily overshoot or undershoot your desired setting. Your technique seems fine, just monitor the carb level by pouring the occasional pint.

Ok cool. I figured 30 PSI in a closed system would stay @ 30 PSI, but I'm glad I'm wrong.

I'm going to let it carb at 30 PSI for about 3 days. I'm going to go on vaction for a week and leave it at serving pressure.

Mike

Back